THE COMPANY – National Life Group
For more than 170 years, National Life Group (“NLG”) has aimed to keep our promises to provide families stability in good times and in bad. Throughout that history, we have provided peace of mind to those families as they plan their futures.
As a mission-driven business, the cause of what we do is as important as the products we sell, and our cause is a very simple one, directed at the people who live and work on America’s Main Streets: to “Do Good” in our communities and with the individual families we serve.
Sentinel Investments, the investment management company of NLG, manages approximately $27 billion in AUM. Our purpose is simple – to allow NLG to keep its promises. How we do this – an obsessive focus on delivering investment results. We drive results through a rigorous and collaborative investment process, and we hold ourselves to the highest of standards, both as investors and teammates. While our process is based on rigor, our culture is based on our guiding principles: Meritocracy, Uncompromising Transparency, Intellectual Honesty, Performance Driven Learning, and Relentless Pursuit of Excellence. These principles guide the way we conduct ourselves, how we work together, and how we approach every investment decision. We fulfill our responsibilities while acting with integrity and humility, while focusing on what is right for the firm, and ultimately, our policyholders. Our culture has been deliberately built to nurture inclusiveness and curiosity, and provide opportunities to learn and grow, both as people and investors. The flat and collaborative nature of our team promotes an atmosphere where the best ideas are continually expressed and rewarded. Our pursuit of excellence is unwavering.
Position Title Director - Debt Originations
Reports to Head of Commercial Real Estate
Commercial Real Estate
With a portfolio of over $3.7 billion in commercial real estate loans (consolidated results as of 12/31/2019
of the National Life Group companies, which include NLIC, LSW, Equity Services, Inc., Sentinel Investments and NLV Financial Corporation), National Life has proven to be a consistent and reliable source for commercial mortgage debt.
National Life provides fixed and floating rate financing for a broad group of property types. Our seasoned professionals, along with a network of mortgage bankers, work closely with leading commercial real estate owners (local, regional and national). In order to strengthen the client relationship, we are focused on best-in-class services by providing timely and reliable solutions.
The primary purpose of this position is to lead the origination of new commercial mortgage loan investments for a specific geographic territory by sourcing business through mortgage banking, brokers and direct relationships. S/he will prepare, analyze, and interpret real estate markets and property specific metrics in order to provide commercial real estate expertise and recommendations for transactions in the assigned geographic territory. Additional responsibilities include assisting with closings, analyzing other potential real estate transactions and performing special projects such as portfolio valuation and investment research.
- Produces commercial mortgage loans within a defined geographic territory in accordance with mandate provided by Sentinel and National Life Group
- Works closely with CRE team and, in particular, Head of CRE to execute loan origination goals and objectives.
- Sources business through professionals in the marketplace (mortgage bankers, brokers and principals in the real estate industry) including consistent presence in the respective markets for due diligence and business development trips
- Originates and underwrites new commercial mortgage loan investments consistent with Sentinel’s mandate, including negotiation of application and commitment letter, reviewing documents, property inspections, and other due diligence items.
- Prepares and presents Investment Committee Memorandums for approval from the Investment Committee
- Leads business representation on new commercial mortgage loan investments with legal counsel including negotiation of complex deal structures.
- Works collaboratively with CRE asset management to resolving loan asset management issues pertaining to properties or relationships in the originator’s territory
- Coordinates and assists with loan closings, refinancing, workouts, etc.
- Leads or participates in departmental projects and provides subject matter expertise on complex initiatives.
- Maintains a broad understanding of real estate market data, trends and developments in the territory.
Builds connections and collaborative relationships with other functional areas of Sentinel and NLG to help drive business results.
Acts as a leader within Sentinel by developing a proactive attitude and investment philosophy relating to the origination of new investments and the management of problem assets.
- Complies with all company and site policies and procedures.
Reporting / Administration (key deliverables):
- Assists in the preparation of periodic management reports, budgets, individual investment summaries, production updates and special projects
- Assists in the annual commercial mortgage portfolio review, valuation, pricing models
- Update policies and procedures for commercial mortgage loan underwriting
Desired Qualifications and skills:
- College Degree in Finance or Real Estate
- 7 to 10 years of experience in commercial real estate and/or mortgage loan finance
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office with emphasis in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Argus proficient)
- Excellent analytical skills relating to real estate investments. Ability to evaluate real estate investments and real estate markets.
- Detailed knowledge of mortgage loan documentation, analysis and legal issues.
- Excellent (verbal and written) communication skills.
- Planning and organization skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Team player
- Proactive attitude in solving problems and meeting objectives
Thrives in a collaborative environment where the best ideas that drive the best results are rewarded
Has the integrity to communicate all relevant facts and information in evaluating decisions and the humility to admit what you do not know
Love of learning – comfortable in an organization that seeks to continually learn from its mistakes and successes to drive better investment decisions
Comfortable with ambiguity and the mentality required to address and ultimately own those ambiguous situations – finding answers and solutions
Proficient in giving and receiving constructive feedback in both real time and structured environments
Demonstrates transparent, direct, and open communication across the organization
Promotes collaboration and has a “firm first” attitude – does what is right for National Life Group
Commitment to our mission and values
- The position will be based our Addison, Texas office
National Life Group is a trade name of National Life Insurance Company (NLIC), Montpelier VT, founded in 1848, Life Insurance Company of the Southwest (LSW), Addison TX, chartered in 1955, and their affiliates. Each company of National Life Group is solely responsible for its own financial condition and contractual obligations. LSW is not an authorized insurer in New York and does not conduct insurance business in New York. Equity Services, Inc., Member FINRA/SIPC, is a Broker and Dealer and Registered Investment Adviser. Sentinel Investments® is the unifying brand name for Sentinel Financial Services Company, Sentinel Asset Management, Inc., and Sentinel Administrative Services, Inc. All companies noted under National Life Group are affiliated and are located in Montpelier, VT, unless otherwise noted.
7+ to 10 years
This job is no longer active.