- Highly competitive starting salary: +/- $150K (depending on experience)
- Discretionary Bonus Potential
- Promote available on current and future deals
- Career growth opportunity – entrepreneurial environment
- Primary focus on The Research Park
Local Capital Group is a diversified Real Estate Development, Operating and Investment Company seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial Construction Manager to join our fast-growing life-science project team in Alameda. Local’s commercial portfolio includes 60 buildings, 150+ tenants, and over 4 million square feet in the San Francisco East Bay and Silicon Valley. The firm also currently has 120+ units of residential/mixed-use development projects in San Francisco and New York City.
The Life Science Construction Manager (LSCM) is responsible for coordination and/or oversight of all aspects of day-to-day activities related to Tenant Improvements and Capital Projects for life-science and office projects. The company has grown significantly over the past several years and further expansion is anticipated. Accordingly, the new LSCM is sought to help with establishing and implementing the company’s short and long-term goals consistent with overall corporate objectives for the commercial and life science business.
- Value an open, honest and transparent workplace.
- Be a curious and driven professional capable of stretching her/himself and our team.
- Work collaboratively.
- Exhibit excellent organization and communication skills with an ability to work through complex issues with thoughtful solutions.
- Manage self and others in an open honest and transparent manner.
- Self-aware, self-secure, go-getter, who knows the value of a team.
- Work inclusively within a diverse team.
- Actively builds and enables supportive relationships to create a successful, dynamic and fun team organization and culture.
- Helps mentor people and looks to be mentored.
- Ability to adapt and quickly learn new things.
Local Capital Group can offer above-market total compensation for this position including salary, benefits and incentive compensation (e.g. bonus, promote interest).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Planning, budgeting, and reporting
- Assist in development of space plans, schedules, and preliminary budget estimates
- Project management
- Preparing Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for general contractors and potentially design team members
- Administer bid process and review accuracy of proposals
- Conduct pre-construction kick-off meetings
- Review plans and construction drawings for accuracy and value
- Monitor all aspects of construction (scheduling, budgeting, and communications) to ensure quality completion on-time and on-budget
- Advise and support engineers in overseeing work performed/contracted by tenants
- Ensure that property engineering (MEP’s) is completed as necessary on all projects
- Prepare/negotiate contracts for GCs and others on the project team
- Advise project teams on design decisions relative to cost impacts and alternatives
- Maintain a project file for each construction job with relevant documentation
- Support move-in process as necessary
- Ensure property receives all close-out materials: As-builts, C of O, etc.
- Follow up on survey issues in conjunction with other team members
- Attend bi-weekly team meetings
- TI accounting activities
- Approve payment of invoices as appropriate based on project plan. Escalate where necessary and provide communication to appropriate management.
- Conscientious about timeliness of assignments and quality of work product
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare and meticulously review financial reports appropriate for various organizational levels and customers
- Organize and prioritize tasks and work with minimal direction
- Exceptional work ethic, goal oriented and capable of functioning in an entrepreneurial setting
- Maintain a resilient temperament to be enthusiastic and responsive
- 5 to 10 years’ experience managing multiple contractors and projects while meeting deadlines and budgets in the life-science industry as well as 3+ years leading a team effectively
- Requires a minimum of 3 years of direct life sciences construction management experience.
- Able to analyze complex business and financial data and to develop fresh solutions
- Extensive knowledge of construction methods, industry trends and operations as well as a general understanding of the real estate industry including government entitlements and approvals
- A thorough knowledge of design, build, facility material, and equipment and the emerging, relevant technology which supports those disciplines