Our client is a leading North American-based supplier of building materials since 1971.They are proudly represented in 43 states as well as 5 Canadian provinces with more than 250 distribution centers and growing at a rate of 7 - 10 new locations a year. At this company, entrepreneurship is core to the culture, allowing each individual distribution center to operate independently with local management to best respond to the needs of its customers and market. Investing in relationships and serving others, passionately pursuing a safe work environment, and a relentless focus on operational excellence are core to the culture.
The primary function of the Director of Real Estate is to advise the CEO, other key members of senior management, and the Board of Directors on real estate portfolio and associated opportunities. They also help develop and implement strategies, best practices and related programs to optimize the facilities across the organization. This is a newly created role and reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
Key accountability areas for this role include:
- Develop and optimize facilities across the organization to satisfy strategic and operating plans in terms of space capacity, management and site services.
- Develop and coordinate programs for lease portfolio management, owned facility management, physical security, construction management, and preventative maintenance.
- Partner with internal functions in investigating, securing and optimizing incentive programs (tax, employee training, etc.) with local authorities
- Manage expense and capital spend to the company's annual operating plan.
- Develop and implement leased and owned facility standards, strategies, policies, and procedures. Implement guidelines and functional layout of all centralized & decentralized space.
- Lead and/or advise on asset purchase or lease negotiations.
- Considering short- and long-term operational objectives, propose and design financial engineering opportunities to maximize shareholder value and lower cost of capital (e.g., sale/lease-back)
- Partner with site management to ensure clean, safe, operational, and efficient maintenance programs at all sites.
- Develop, implement and maintain vendor and partner management standards. Advise and partner with Purchasing to conduct negotiations with vendors & suppliers to obtain products and services.
- Develop, implement and maintain standards regarding ancillary facilities systems such as security, HVAC, generators, automation and other energy systems.
- Coordinate with regional leadership in the administration and supervision of the planning, design, and construction of renovations and repairs of facilities including plans and specifications, bid documents, contract awards, and contract completion and acceptance; prepare RFP's and RFQ's as assigned.
- Coordinate with regional leadership in the administration and supervision of the planning, design and construction of any new facilities. Coordinate design and implementation or other large-scale work-space projects, ensuring alignment to the company culture and work-space demands. Bring best in class approach to any new facilities and ensure financial prudence in all phases of work, to include plans, specifications, bids and contracts.
- Actively support and consult on strategic expansion initiatives (green fields and acquisition due diligence).
- Consult in the preparation of facilities operating budgets for maintenance, deferred maintenance, and minor renovation budgets
- Establish departmental policies and operating procedures, ensuring that maintenance and minor projects are planned, designed, constructed on time and within budget pursuant to and legal requirements
- Develop and implement department strategies, business practices, and processes to continually improve real estate efficiency and effectiveness.
- Oversee regular facilities assessments including site and utility assessments and incorporate findings into life cycle plans. Develop and implement systems for determining and prioritizing life-cycle replacement needs, with both short-term and long-term lenses.
- Engage with leaders, executives, and the community on a variety of renovation and construction projects and provides leadership in master plan development, multi-year construction, and renovation planning.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, accounting, or finance; Juris Doctorate and/or Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of related work experience in commercial real estate management
- Demonstrated experience in senior management position
- Well-developed knowledge of real estate principles, construction and project management, etc.
- Well-developed knowledge of real estate contract, legal and zoning matters.
- Strong financial and accounting background, including an understanding of profit and loss, balance sheet and cash flow management and general finance and budgeting.
- Strategic and business acumen to anticipate and respond to fundamental shifts in business processes and market conditions with tailored real estate solutions.
- Ability to self-manage, show initiative and be proactive
- Communicate professionally, both verbally and in writing to organization
- Strong negotiation skills, communication skills and analytical ability
- Comfort and familiarity negotiating with rail companies preferred
- Strong change management and influencing skills across all levels of an organization
- Financial Analysis
10+ to 15 years
Apply for this job