Introduction / About the Company
West End Capital is a local real estate owner/developer with over 2,000 garden apartment units under management. The firm is seven years old and anticipates continued near- and long-term growth, acquiring heavy value-add garden apartment communities throughout the southeastern United States. We are a small, nimble firm where every employee is given much responsibility and plays a critical role. This opportunity is based in Washington DC, with frequent on-site responsibilities.
West End Capital Group is seeking a full-time VP/associate to assist with the oversight of various construction and renovation projects occurring within the portfolio. The accepted applicant’s primary focus will be on the heavy lift required at each property immediately following acquisition. The scopes will vary by property, but typically include i) addressing deferred maintenance such as roofs, parking lots, siding, and any system upgrades/requirements; ii) exterior cosmetic renovations such as new amenities, landscaping, and often a new clubhouse; and iii) interior unit renovations, which can vary in scope from replacing cabinets/appliances, to gutting/upgrading the entire unit. Following completion of the upfront deferred maintenance and exterior cosmetic renovations, the accepted applicant will then continue to oversee the interior unit renovations as needed for the subsequent few years, as units turn over. The candidate will be responsible for budgeting and overseeing any significant capex items at each property for the duration of the hold period.
Initially, we would expect the candidate to manage the deferred maintenance and exterior cosmetic renovations directly with the subs, while overseeing a third-party GC on the unit interiors. As soon as the candidate has demonstrated the requisite skillset to handle the unit interiors, they would handle those directly as well.
Candidates should have at least four years’ experience in the real estate construction/development industry and a long-term interest in construction management/general contracting. Accepted applicants will learn under the managing partners and will quickly be provided with significant leadership roles and responsibilities as they grow within the role.
Skills and Qualifications
1) We are seeking a proactive contributor to a young, active team
2) Demonstrated passion for your professional development
3) Self-starter with ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
4) Intellectual curiosity and eagerness to apply and enhance existing skill set
5) Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Excel and construction management software; ability to organize, present, analyze and communicate information effectively
6) Exceptional organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
7) Strong written and verbal communication skills are critically important
8) Excellent problem-solving ability
9) Strong work ethic; attention to detail
10) Honesty and integrity; ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
11) Willingness to help with all aspects of company business; entrepreneurial
1) Schedule the project in logical steps and budget time required to meet deadlines.
2) Determine labor requirements and dispatch workers to construction sites.
3) Inspect and review projects to monitor compliance with building and safety codes, and other regulations.
4) Interpret and explain plans and contract terms to administrative staff, workers, and clients, on behalf of the company.
5) Prepare contracts and negotiate revisions, changes and additions to contractual agreements with architects, consultants, clients, suppliers and subcontractors.
6) Obtain all necessary permits and licenses.
7) Direct and supervise workers.
8) Study job specifications to determine appropriate construction methods.
9) Select, contract, and oversee workers who complete specific pieces of the project, such as painting or plumbing.
10) Requisition supplies and materials to complete construction projects.
11) Prepare and submit budget estimates and progress and cost tracking reports.
12) Develop and implement quality control programs.
13) Take actions to deal with the results of delays, bad weather, or emergencies at construction site.
14) Confer with supervisory personnel, owners, contractors, and design professionals to discuss and resolve matters such as work procedures, complaints, and construction problems.
15) Plan, organize, and direct activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems.
16) Investigate damage, accidents, or delays at construction sites, to ensure that proper procedures are being carried out.
17) Be a proper representative of the West End brand.
18) Frequent, dependable communication, creativity and positive attitude are essential.
- Project Management
2+ to 5 years
This job is no longer active.