Director, Business Engagement
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) seeks a Director for Business Engagement to envision and lead IMT’s corporate engagement to drive market adoption of decarbonized, high-performing buildings. This role provides an exciting and unique opportunity to change business practices, informed by cross-industry work on energy and sustainability. The successful candidate will have familiarity with energy management services as they relate to buildings, and an understanding of the services typically engaged to improve building performance such as energy audits, retrocommissioning, and common retrofits. Working closely with exceptional colleagues, the Director will identify and implement market-transforming solutions that harnesses the ever-growing momentum of leading companies as they raise their climate ambitions to achieve carbon, energy, and social objectives of unprecedented scale. Key markets this Director will engage include commercial real estate (owners, operators, tenants, lenders, investors, and brokers), retailers, energy service providers, and related communities. The Director for Business Engagement will report to the Managing Director of Programs.
• Continually reimagine, update, and refine market-based approaches to decarbonization of the built environment, and reflect them in IMT’s work
• Evolve and deploy IMT’s strategy for engaging private sector audiences—igniting bold actions that transform buildings from being a climate problem to a climate solution
• Identify environmental and social values shared by companies, communities, and local governments; use such knowledge to design initiatives that align various stakeholders and activate corporations to achieve deep energy and carbon reductions
• Contribute to the strategy and deployment of IMT’s policy-focused work by guiding internal staff and government policymakers on ways to engage, understand, and work productively with key market actors for better climate outcomes
• In partnership with IMT’s Executive Director, develop strategies for fundraising initiatives to support the full implementation of program activities
Representation and Communication
• Represent IMT nationally, cultivating relationships with key stakeholders (e.g., commercial real estate, Fortune 500 corporations, ESG industry, financial services, etc.) and actively folding their feedback and needs into current and future IMT programs
• Represent IMT to key funders (e.g., philanthropies, companies, etc.) in ways that illustrate the market and climate impact of IMT’s private sector work
• Maintain and grow relationships with national and international organizations with which IMT can partner to accelerate the adoption of high performing buildings
• Communicate regularly with IMT leadership regarding milestones and deliverables to inform external messaging, speaking engagements, and IMT’s overall communications
• Collaborate with other IMT staff and clients to ensure public policy solutions to energy efficiency are informed by private sector realities and perspectives
Program and Staff Management
• Develop and manage a team of staff—ensuring they consistently deliver excellent service to clients and stakeholders
• Identify and implement ways to help staff continuously improve their knowledge base and skills, through mentoring and external professional development programs
• Supervise and coordinate the work of other IMT staff and contractors as applicable
• Set and manage program budgets to deliver on existing commitments while always looking ahead and planning for organizational evolution
Qualifications and Skills
• Experience working in the commercial real estate industry strongly preferred
• Ability to communicate and engage companies at all levels on the business value of energy efficiency and to translate complex concepts into user friendly language
• Experience developing new, innovative programs to tackle unsolved challenges
• Proven leader in field with experience building consensus among diverse stakeholders
• Experience in and passion energy efficiency and sustainability in the built environment
• Advanced degree in business, real estate, sustainability management, or technical field relevant to energy efficiency and green building preferred
• Proven project management experience and excellent communication skills
• Strong team player able to work closely with colleagues in a small organization that relies on coordinating programs and priorities
How to Apply
This is a full-time position with a strong preference for someone based in Washington, DC. IMT offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and benefits package.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirement through this posting.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, with a mission to catalyze widespread and sustained demand for high-performing buildings. Achieving this vision requires market transformation through strategic interventions that remove barriers and to provide an easier path to an energy-efficient built environment. We work in partnership with businesses, policymakers, and environmental groups that are leading the future of energy efficiency. With over 20 years of experience, IMT has supported large-scale outcomes as a driver of important new practices and policies that benefit cities, businesses, the economy and the environment.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, we provide a vibrant, collaborative and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have a great deal of fun along the way.
- Business Development
- Advisory Services/Consulting
- Project Management
7+ to 10 years
This job is no longer active.