ELK Development is a vertically integrated real estate development firm specializing in the design, development, construction, and operations of innovative rental housing. Based in Los Angeles, the team is relentlessly committed to developing multi-family projects that respond to renters' ever-changing needs.
The team's culture is defined by pushing the boundaries of traditional real estate development. ELK Development encourages employees to think boldly, communicate candidly, and act with integrity, so that we can create the maximum value for our stakeholders.
Currently, the company has $200MM in assets under development and a development pipeline of $1B.
ELK Development seeks to hire a Controller to lead the company's accounting and financial reporting activities. The position is full-time and will require the candidate to work in-person out of the company’s Los Angeles headquarters.
The ideal candidate will have a keen knowledge of established accounting best practices and procedures and will have proven experience in the real estate industry. Additionally, the position will require the candidate to design and implement processes to ensure that accounting is maintained on a project and company level. Therefore, a focus on organization and operational efficiency is required.
The candidate will also be responsible for providing the executive team with regular updates and analysis on each project's financial position, so strong written and verbal communication skills are necessary.
- Design and implement accounting, financial reporting, and internal control systems, ensuring that all systems are in accordance with established industry practices
- Create monthly financial reports, which summarize and analyze business activity and financial position related to income, expenses, and earnings based on past, and present and expected operations
- Manage the draw process for loan reimbursement for approximately 10 projects monthly
- Manage A/P, A/R & Payroll for approximately 10 employees
- Maintain journal entries to bank accounts, including all incoming and outgoing transactions and perform a monthly account reconciliation
- Maintain GL's and associated transactions impacting financial statement and balance sheet
- Prepare balance sheets, cash flow statements, budgets, P&L, aging reports for A/P & A/R
- Document and report preparation for annual external audit, State & Fed taxing authorities (in conjunction with CPA) and Workers Comp Audit preparation
- Create and maintain quarterly investor reports
- Prepare ad hoc reports and documents upon partner request
- Prepare S-corporation annual reports and filings as requested by CPA
- Train and supervise new hires in the accounting department
- 5+ years of accounting experience backed by a bachelor's degree in accounting and/or finance
- CPA license is preferred but not required
- JD degree is preferred but not required
- Knowledge of revenue and cost recognition in accordance with GAAP
- Experience with QuickBooks and/or QuickBooks Online
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrate astute attention to detail
- Show strong quantitative analysis capabilities
- Maintain a drive for operational efficiency, never settling for "good enough"
- Work with a spirit of transparency and collaboration
- Demonstrate a willingness to adapt to an ever-changing real estate landscape and proactively seek out solutions to challenges
- Bring energy and enthusiasm to daily tasks
- Accounting / Control
5+ to 7 years
Apply for this job