Job Title: Associate, Acquisitions
Location: San Jose
The Associate, Acquisitions, under the direction of the Director of Acquisitions, will support the origination and closing of new property transactions for DJM, while also supporting the firms’ on-going asset management responsibilities. The ideal candidate will have experience in real estate financial analysis, research, underwriting, due diligence, and asset management.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Support DJM’s acquisition sourcing process to identify prospective new deals.
- Complete analysis of prospective transactions including credit assessment, property valuation, evaluation of rent roll, market rent surveys, etc.
- Assist in the preparation of thorough investment packages.
- Conduct evaluation of market conditions impacting acquisition and disposition opportunities.
- Work closely with internal Asset/Property Management teams to support the due diligence process.
- Research and identify potential new seller relationships to grow team database and company industry exposure.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with external commercial brokers and prospective property sellers.
- Work closely with internal Asset Management teams on various property initiatives.
- Overtime hours may be required as job duties demand.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, real estate, or a related field
- Minimum 2 years of commercial real estate experience preferably in an acquisitions role, or in finance.
- Retail experience required, with exposure in asset management, office, multi-family, and development a plus
- Experience with due diligence, underwriting, disposition analysis, and sale execution
- Relevant certifications (e.g., CFA/CPA/Brokers/CCIM) is a plus
- Active member of ICSC preferred
- Broad broker relationships and acquisitions network
Qualifications and skills desired:
- High-level proficiency in Yardi, Argus, and Excel
- Strong attention to detail; passionate about quality and accuracy.
- Understanding of financial statements and financial analysis used in underwriting.
- Technologically savvy with effective internet research and database management skills.
- Experienced information gathering and information monitoring skills.
- Experience in reading and evaluating property due diligence reports.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills along with effective presentation skills.
- Able to prioritize and manage multiple projects, handle frequent changes effectively and professionally and follow through on issues in a timely manner.
- Ability to perform under deadline pressure.
- Ability to work well independently and in a team.
- Self-starter, but not hesitant to ask for direction when needed.
- Solid work ethic and a professional, proactive, and positive approach to work.
- Willing and able to travel when necessary.
- Ability to present financial information to a non-financial audience
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Demonstratable strategic thinking skills
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Position may also require one to stand and/or walk for up to 8 hours a day.
- This is an exempt position
- This is a full-time position
- Financial Analysis
- Due Diligence
2+ to 5 years
Apply for this job