Blue Door is a not-for-profit registered charitable agency governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. We are an integral part of our community, providing essential emergency housing services since 1982.
The Manager, Housing Development (the Manager ) will be responsible for establishing Blue Door s housing development capabilities, combining Blue Door s deep expertise in the housing and homelessness sector with your prior experience in housing development projects. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and working closely with the Director of Programs, Housing and Health, this Manager will lead housing development projects from early project conception through to initial occupancy, impacting a diversity of vulnerable groups with housing needs.
Blue Door is involved in a wide variety of housing development projects across its various programs. The Manager will be responsible for consolidating these projects under one portfolio and for ensuring their alignment with Blue Door s strategy of attaining and retaining housing units for its housing programs.
The types of housing development projects include
- Acquiring capital property to create or retain housing
- Acquiring land and building new housing
- Entering long-term leases to retain housing
- Fostering donations for regional nonprofits, such as a community land trust
Housing Development Portfolio
- Project management of Blue Door s housing development projects, including consolidation of existing projects into one project portfolio as well as exploring and launching new project opportunities
- Coordinate all project team members, including Blue Door staff, architect/engineering consultants, cost consultants, geotechnical consultants, special study consultants (i.e., traffic, parking, noise), solicitor, lender, property manager, and other project team members to ensure all aspects of project are completed and schedule is met
- Alignment of current and future projects with Blue Door s strategy
- Coordinate preparation of proposal submissions for funding housing projects with Resource Development Department
- Assist in conducting searches for appropriate sites for housing projects and in evaluating the suitability of social purpose real estate
- Assist in preparing submissions for available government programs and follow-up as required
- Report to government agencies, foundations, and other funders with respect to approved programs, as required
Project Feasibility and Modelling
- Assist in preparing reports identifying needs for potential target groups
- Conduct financial feasibility reviews and affordability analysis
- Prepare pro-forma capital and operating budgets for projects and update as required
- Coordinate preparation and delivery of all documentation required by funders to obtain approval for project financing
Approvals and Communication
- Assist in securing all required municipal planning approvals, including official plan amendments, site plan and minor variance and re-zoning, as required
- Liaise with municipal staff throughout the development and construction process to ensure all approvals are in place and requirements and conditions have been met
- Assist with community consultation throughout the development of the housing project, including liaising with neighbourhood associations, local politicians, municipal staff, and other stakeholder groups
- Prepare presentation materials for community consultation and communication
Management of Development Project
- Develop and regularly update project work plan and project schedule
- Assist in preparing offers of purchase and sale for selected sites
- Coordinate the selection of architects, quantity surveyors, lenders, appraisers, soil engineers, environmental consultations, builders/developers, and other key professionals, as required
- Coordinate the preparation, review, and execution of agreements/contracts with a range of professionals and others involved in the development (i.e., architects, quantity surveyor)
- Coordinate preparation of technical studies (i.e., environmental assessments, parking studies, noise studies)
- Act as project manager and organizational contact for key professionals, ensuring project completion
- Attend development and construction site meetings as required
Project Occupancy and Program Start
- Coordinate transfer of warranties to owner, take-over of utilities from builder/developer, staff training for maintenance duties
- Work with project manager and builder to coordinate tenant move-in
- Work with client, property manager and other team members to put in place a marketing plan and rent-up strategy
- Prepare marketing and rental documents (i.e., application, lease agreement, letters of offer) in consultation with other project team members
- Work with Construct (Blue Door s employment social enterprise), property manager on plan for ongoing maintenance of unit, as required
Respect and Professionalism
- Maintain professionalism in the workplace.
- Work cooperatively alongside and support all Blue Door team members and departments.
- Adhere to the mission, vision, policies and procedures of Blue Door
- Able and willing to promote harm reduction practices in accordance with core standards.
- Attend internal staff meetings and staff training as required.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all client and Blue Door information.
- Foster positive and appropriate relationships with clients, colleagues, community partners and volunteers.
- Provide referrals and follow-up as necessary.
- Meets with COO on a regular basis and participates in completion of annual performance evaluation.
Occupational Health & Safety
- All employees are responsible for carrying out work in a way that does not adversely affect their own health and safety and that of others.
- All employees shall learn and understand health and safety policies and procedures and will comply with them.
- Post-secondary education in relevant field (Planning and Urban Development, Architecture, Engineering, Real Estate Finance)
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in social purpose real estate development, with a preference for residential development. Mixed experience is an asset.
- Membership in CIP, OAA, PMP or LEED AP certification would be an asset
- Demonstrated experience in stages of the development cycle
- Strong analytical capabilities in preparing market studies
- Ability to gather, research and analyze data
- Familiarity with housing projects: financial, funding structure and programs
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs
- High level of accountability and dependability
- Valid driver s licence
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
Knowledge and skills assessment tests will be used pre-employment to evaluate potential candidates.
At Blue Door we believe that to support our clients and continue to do the work we do, it is important that we take care of our employees by offering the following Benefits and Company Perks!
- Comprehensive Benefits
- Paid time off such as personal needs days, sick days, float days and generous vacation time
- Work-life balance
- Teamwork and Independent Work
- Work from Home
- Flex Hours and Work Flexibility
- Challenging Work and Growth Opportunities
- Ability to make a difference
- Wellness Committee events such as regular gatherings, luncheons, holiday activities
- Virtual events and activities
- Employee satisfaction surveys
We are always working towards continued improvements with the hope of creating and fostering a work culture where people want to be and are see the impact of their work.
Please check out future opportunities by visiting our Careers Page at .
Blue Door is committed to the development of a staff and leadership team that reflects the incredible diversity of the communities we serve. We promote the principles of intersectional anti-racism and anti-oppression and adhere to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We both welcome and encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to access and equity, including Indigenous, Black and racialized people, members of 2SLGBTQIA+ communities, people with disabilities, and people with lived experience of homelessness. Blue Door is a unionized work environment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and Blue Doors AODA Policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
All applications will be reviewed as received, and interviews will begin for qualified candidates as soon as possible. The position may be filled before this job posting ends. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please submit a cover letter and resume
This job is no longer active.