Standard Communities is an award winning affordable, workforce, and mixed-income housing innovator. As one of the AHF Top 50 largest owners of affordable housing in the country, Standard cultivates long-term public and private partnerships to produce and preserve affordable, environmentally sustainable housing.
The work we do is essential at reducing the affordable housing crisis, and our portfolio of over 80 communities and 13,500 units, provides high-quality housing for more than 30,000 people. Our team consists of more than 70 people across the country, including industry leaders in finance, construction, and asset management, who lead our industry at creating quality housing and strong communities.
Founded in 2008, Standard Communities is relentlessly focused on growth and has completed more than $3 billion in housing transactions with a portfolio that spans 17 states. As a California Benefit Corporation, we are socially conscious entrepreneurs that value high performance, corporate responsibility, and innovation.
Our long-term goal is to own more than 50,000 units and provide affordable, environmentally sustainable housing to more than 100,000 people by 2030. We are looking for curious, ambitious self-leaders to join our fast-moving, forward focused team.
Interested??Read more about the latest opportunity to join our team below.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Construction Manager will provide direct support to the Essential Housing team on active acquisition and rehabilitation projects in the West coast, including affordable, workforce, and market rate multifamily housing.
What You Can Expect To Do
- Front-end Due Diligence, including analyzing and understanding property condition reports, environmental, and other specialty sub-consultants.
- Work independently to develop detailed scope, budget, schedule and logistics plans; manage execution of referenced plans during active construction phases.
- Identify and qualify deferred maintenance, building deficiencies and necessary capital improvements based on prior professional experience and vendor site assessments.
- Provide proposed solutions to solve building deficiencies and regulatory requirements.
- Source and manage the Design Team, Vendors and Contractors.
- Manage the development of architectural and engineering plans, and specifications.
- Be accountable for permitting approvals by local jurisdictions as it relates to the project schedule.
- Coordinate contractor access, logistic items, utility shutdowns and notices with our Operations and Property Management staff.
- Conduct frequent on-site physical inspections of active construction projects.
- Oversee quality control of construction tasks, perform pre and post-construction acceptance reviews.
- Escort design team, lenders, and other project stakeholders through construction sites to perform status reviews and draw meetings.
- Ensure safety guidelines for contractors, and residents, are followed on all job sites.
What You Should Have
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in engineering, architecture, or construction management.
- Organizational skills; the ability manage your time, focus and communicate with clarity.
- Hands-on experience with occupied apartment renovation projects.
- 7 years of experience in construction management, multifamily experience preferred.
- The ability to read, understand and value engineer construction documents.
- A sense of urgency, an internal clock that helps you move with purpose.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- The ability to travel as needed.
What You Should Be
- Curious and ambitious by nature; a highly motivated person.
- A shrewd tactician, able to “make the right call” with confidence.
- A person who values hard work; you ideally learned at an early age how to put your nose down and get things done when it matters.
- An independent self-starter; you don’t wait around too long looking for directions from others.
- Highly accountable; you take ownership, follow-through, meet deadlines, and care about the quality of your work product.
- Courageous; willing to put yourself out there, bet on yourself, take risks and asks questions.
- A world-class communicator, or rapidly becoming one.
- Able to work collaboratively in a small team environment; willingness to “roll up your sleeves” and pitch in when and where necessary.
- Ready to work in a fast-paced environment and be part of an amazing team doing valuable work.
Who You Can Expect To Work With
Standard Communities is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
7+ to 10 years