Commercial Real Estate Senior Analyst – Excel and Data Visualization
Aspen Analytics is seeking an additional Senior Analyst for the NYC headquarters Bryant Park Office of its growing commercial real estate consulting team. The successful candidate is naturally a perfectionist when it comes to formatting, formulas, analysis and printability of work. The Senior Analyst will learn many new skills and support all five of Aspen’s lines of business including deal sourcing, underwriting, transaction due diligence, reporting, and management consulting. Aspen is lean, clean, cutting-edge technology, looking for new ideas, extremely hard-working, and thoughtful in the way we speak and act. Our clients include PE shops, institutions, family offices, lenders, ratings agencies and intermediaries which buy, own, manage, or sell commercial real estate assets located in the US.
- Bachelor’s degree; real estate coursework is a plus
- 2-4 years in commercial real estate, such as acquisitions, asset management, lending, consulting or reporting
- Experienced or familiar with multiple property types – office, industrial, retail, multifamily, hospitality, etc.
- Comprehensive background check, drug testing, case study skills assessment, and personality profile
- (optional) If you have examples of your work in Excel that showcase your skills – send them along. This is a highly competitive search and examples will help you stand out
In a typical week you might:
- Create a dashboard to tell a story about electric costs increasing by 8% during the T4 years
- Upgrade the formatting and formulas on a client’s property management reporting package
- Join a due diligence tour to interview the PM and scan leases on a 450-unit multifamily deal in Delaware
- Secret shop six office buildings to verify asking rents in Northeast DC for a $65MM loan underwriting
- Research municipal regulations online to find property-level complaints, violations, rent regulations, zoning changes, and non-pay eviction timeline
- Browse a Big 4 market research report, see a great format on a chart, and use that to upgrade your own report
- Review a pitch book from your marketing specialist teammates and ensure everything ties out with the model
- Audit the formulas in a 10yr cash flow and distributions model for a $30MM flagged hotel acquisition
- Leave the office in a black car at 11pm every night when we’re in Deal Mode, but hit the gym or take a walk during the day, and enjoy full technology disconnect vacations when we’re between deals
Statements That Describe the Right Candidate:
- You are and want to be an absolute perfectionist when it comes to formulas, accuracy and formatting
- Excel proficient – complex formulas and keyboard shortcuts over mouse are a must; VBA and macros are a plus
- Can demonstrate prior creation of dashboards, data visualization, and storytelling; Tableau and similar are a plus
- You can find a way to do anything via Google search, like to learn new formulas and keyboard shortcuts, and have watched Excel training videos or attended classes
- You like to build or fix or solve. You don’t want to sit and operate a machine, you want to build the machine, integrate, try new methods, and make it faster, stronger, and more efficient
- You like people and present yourself in a clear, professional manner both in-office and on-site with clients
- You’re looking for a small, flat, innovative, fun, healthy, fast-paced, startup environment with strong growth that can be your home for the next few years. This opening is one of 4-5 new hires planned for 2018.
- $80k base for 50 hours per week
- 2 weeks paid vacation/sick days (yes you should take them) plus 7 major holidays
- Bonus is not nebulous and vaguely determined months after you put in the late nights – we offer a unique hours-driven bonus paid out 2x per year. If you choose to work past 50 hours in a week or on weekends, then you accrue and get paid for it, and can easily rise over $100k+
- 401k plans with 4% corporate match
- Health insurance plan options with HSA account and the company contributing a portion of your premium
Plus the perks…
- Corporate Amex, dinner in the office, and car service home at night if you’re working more than 12 hours
- Organic superautomatic espresso machine, tea, LaCroix, RedBull, organic snacks
- Training Focused – 5% of your time each week must be spent on structured training in Excel, data visualization, reporting, or other areas applicable to the role. You’ll present to the team and share what you learned on a monthly basis.
- Closing dinners, client entertainment events and company outings
- High Tech – Sit/Stand desks, Herman Miller chairs, fastest laptops and desktops currently available, dual 4k screens, modernist white on white decor, and happy to invest in anything which can help us execute
- Transit benefits allow you some tax savings
Aspen Analytics is a consulting services company providing perfectionist-level support on an hourly, project, or fixed-term basis to those who buy, own, manage or sell commercial real estate located in the US. Our clients include private equity firms, institutions, family offices, lenders, ratings agencies, and intermediaries.
Aspen provides five services to clients: deal sourcing to build a pipeline of properties to buy, underwriting and models to evaluate purchase or sale, transaction due diligence to review books and records, custom reporting to show property performance opportunities, and management consulting to build or streamline operations.
The NYC HQ is located at Bryant Park in the center of transit at 501 Fifth Avenue.
- Advisory Services/Consulting
- Due Diligence
- Alternative Investments
- Hospitality / Entertainment
2+ to 5 years
Apply for this job