NAIOP, the Commercial Real Estate Development Association based in Herndon, Virginia, is seeking a managing editor for its flagship magazine, Development. The individual will also edit other real estate-related publications as needed.
Serves as managing editor of Development Magazine (quarterly); responsible for the editorial quality, integrity, accuracy, and clarity of all columns and features. Edits other publications as needed.
- Leads and meets weekly with Vice President, Knowledge &Research to discuss target topics, potential writers, material in the pipeline, quality of articles, and whether/how to rewrite or reject/replace unacceptable material.
- Leads and manages communications with the Development Magazine Editorial Board, soliciting input and feedback on proposed, submitted and published articles.
- With Editor-in-Chief reviews various iterations of cover stories, features and column pieces.
- Copy edits editorial material for Development Magazine content, clarity, style, and grammar using AP Style.
- Solicits and nurtures relationships with NAIOP members, chapter staff, freelance writers and others to solicit, schedule and secure four or five high-quality feature articles and about 20 column pieces per issue.
- Works with authors and others to secure high-resolution photos, renderings, graphs and other images, as well as permissions, captions and credits for all articles and cover.
- Manages outside graphic designer and various freelance writers.
- Writes select column pieces and occasional feature articles.
- Collaborates with production manager, graphic designer and Business Development staff on magazine layout, design and production.
- Reviews all proofs and bluelines.
- Writes six to 12 brief articles for NAIOP Market Share blog, promoting published magazine articles and providing updated information.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and skills:
- Experience as an editor or managing editor on a print magazine focusing on commercial real estate or financial services.
- The ability to identify content that is new, informative and relevant to commercial real estate practitioners.
- Genuine curiosity about and knowledge of the ever-evolving AP Stylebook.
- Strong technical writing skills and the ability to unravel complex ideas, generate meaningful questions for authors and rewrite and reorganize text as necessary.
- The ability to clarify and simplify confusing language while staying true to an author’s meaning and voice.
5+ to 7 years
Apply for this job