Interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
POSITION: Deputy Director
AGENCY: Berks County Industrial Development Authority (BCIDA)
LOCATION: Reading, Berks County, Pennsylvania
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Executive Director and Five-Member Board
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
The BCIDA is a public sector agency engaged in the development/redevelopment of projects that will promote the economic growth of Berks County. With an emphasis on the creation of “shovel-ready sites”, they seek to satisfy the speed to market requirements of private sector end users and developers. Their focus is on producing product underserved in the market, as well as, distressed and challenged properties with the ultimate goal of creating or retaining jobs and building the non-residential tax base.
The Executive Director, Administrative Assistant and Board are charged with orchestrating the development process from start to finish. Some of the work is outsourced to a development team of third-party contractors.
In addition, the BCIDA is a conduit issuer of tax-exempt private activity bonds used by manufacturers and non-profits.
They also have been extensively involved in the provision of tax increment financing to support infrastructure that supports economic development projects as well as local tax abatement programs.
The Deputy Director will be initially responsible for assisting the Executive Director in leading the activities of the BCIDA with the potential of succeeding to the Executive Director position in several years based on an evaluation of abilities and performance.
The Deputy Director will at first be responsible for assisting the Executive Director with the following key responsibilities:
- Identification of opportunities and evaluation of potential projects for their feasibility and alignment with the BCIDA’s goals, values and mission.
- Conduct of due diligence and pre-development activities to ascertain the development risk for potential project opportunities to include overall project conceptual design, gross estimates of construction costs, site, market and financial analyses as well as potential for community support.
- For projects agreed by the Board present offers and negotiate terms of site control including what the BCIDA should pay for land based on an indication of residual value from pre-development activities and project cost estimates.
- Assist broker and solicitor with favorable site control/purchase terms for acquisition targets that allow careful due diligence, sufficient timeframes and provisions to terminate with minimal risk and expense.
- Manage the cost and time devoted to collecting information during the pre-development process including obtaining consultants and negotiating fees and scope of work.
- Coordinate with all entities and agencies having regulatory jurisdiction including municipalities, municipal authorities, State and Federal agencies.
- Determine preferences and influences of neighboring properties and local elected official support.
- Participate in visualizing the sites’ project design and attractiveness to end users.
- Work with third party consultants to research costs and timeline for construction activities.
- Develop and maintain relationships with a regional real estate and economic development network of contacts.
- After site-control and in conjunction with development team, devise further detailed market based conceptual design to include detailed building and lot layout, plan and schedule to obtain entitlements, estimated construction costs, additional environmental assessments, utility and infrastructure coordination and planning.
- Devise detailed financing plan in consultation with development team and Board.
- Identify gaps in financing that could be minimized by any State, Federal or local incentive programs with the goal of achieving at least a break-even status for all BCIDA projects.
- Work with development team to prepare permit/submittal applications with all required documentation and follow-up.
- Assist in the planning and design of infrastructure improvements to be phased, scheduled and completed to give greatest value and marketability to the site.
- Participate with real estate broker and team to devise marketing activities including brochures, events, signage, individual and group meetings.
- Communicate progress on projects to Board, key decision makers and elected officials including dealing with the media and inquiries from the general public.
- Attend community/local municipal meetings as well as regional/national economic development conferences, as appropriate, to present BCIDA projects and represent the BCIDA’s interests.
- Conduct the day-to-day operational activities of the BCIDA providing direction to the Administrative Assistant, project contractors and consultants.
- Organize and conduct monthly meetings of the BCIDA Board to include providing written and verbal reports on the BCIDA activities.
- Work with outside independent auditors to assure BCIDA operations and finances have been conducted properly and see that any corrective actions that are necessary are undertaken.
- Prepare applications including required documentation for Federal and State grant loan and grant programs and if obtained, be responsible for meeting requirements and managing grant dollars.
- Develop and maintain expertise in tax-exempt financing techniques including marketing of program, identification of financing opportunities and coordination of activities involved in executing and monitoring the financing both pre and post-closing
- Become expert in the responsible use of local incentive programs such as Tax Increment Financing and LERTA and aware of opportunities where they can assist BCIDA projects or other economic development projects occurring in the County.
- Coordinate with project team and administrative assistant in managing project documents including approvals, agency releases/declarations/determinations, easements, covenants, maps, construction documents, engineering plans, specifications, bid documents, contracts/change orders, closeout documentation.
- Assist broker, solicitor and development team in the sale of BCIDA properties including Letter of Intent, Agreement of Sale and responding to due diligence of buyers with buyer support provided both pre and post-closing.
- As appropriate, supervise other BCIDA employees.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Undergraduate degree or other certification with concentration in Economic Development, Community Development, Real Estate or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in real estate development (preferably with an emphasis on industrial and commercial), land development and project management and the ability to build and direct effective teams to manage major development projects.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to rapidly changing priorities and outcomes.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously through high energy, flexibility and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to demonstrate analytical proficiency; must be able to distill complex information into language that is clear and understandable to all stakeholders.
- Aptitude for creating and building development pro formas, coordinating financing packages and application.
- Ability to build productive working relationships with all stakeholders including consultants, vendors, financial institutions, regulators and elected officials.
- Knowledge and understanding of development and construction practices.
- Detail orientation and drive to always be on top of areas of responsibility.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Desire to meet commitments/deadlines.
- Strong MS office skills including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Acrobat and Outlook.
- Position may require some travel primarily within the County but will sometimes be out of the County to conferences, training and professional events.
- Must have the ability to operate an automobile. Must have a valid state-approved driver’s license.
- Business Development
- Community Development
5+ to 7 years
Apply for this job