Overview:We are a well-capitalized and highly-respected real estate investment firm with an extensive track record of direct investing in multifamily and mixed-use real estate. Our joint venture capital partners are among the biggest and best private equity and pension funds in the world. We are expanding our footprint into Southern California, and are building out a new team to support that effort. Target investment sizes will range widely, and may include assets as small as $5-10mm, as well as individual assets or portfolios in excess of $200-300mm. We are seeking 1 or 2 well-qualified, seasoned VP/Director level real estate professionals to help build out and oversee our Acquisitions team in the region. This person(s) will report directly to the President of the region and function as a key player/leader of the Southern California office.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following skills/experience:
- Minimum of 7-10 years of relevant multifamily and mixed-use principal investment or advisory experience.
- Ability to manage every facet of complex real estate transactions from inception through closing.
- Track record of negotiating and structuring joint venture equity investments and direct real estate purchases.
- Extensive experience engaging, coordinating and managing third-party service providers throughout the due diligence process.
- Extraordinary attention to detail, with the type of self-discipline to produce high-quality error-free work product without supervision.
- Excellent communications skills (both oral and written), with the ability to articulate complicated financial concepts in clear and concise language to senior executives.
- True mastery of financial modeling in Excel (with solid Argus knowledge a plus). Please do not apply if you cannot look yourself in the mirror and meet this Excel standard. We are not quants, but cash flow modeling is the basis of all sound real estate investment decisions, therefore we will make no compromises in this qualification standard.
- Solid industry relationships and reputation throughout Southern California with brokers, lenders, service providers, investment professionals, etc.
- Strong academic credentials from a top-tier university, preferably with a graduate degree from a top-tier business school or real estate program, and/or a CFA.
- Proactive, thoughtful, well-organized and self-disciplined.
- Team player that has demonstrated the ability to recruit, train, mentor and lead a team of Analysts and Associates, and they still like you. Lead by example, not by grinding them.
- Acute sense of self-awareness, with the right mix of fire-in-your-belly to run through brick walls when necessary, yet the ability to tone it down and not take yourself too seriously when appropriate.
- Enjoy working in a team setting towards a common goal and vision. A low ego, with a strong get “stuff” done attitude.
- Development and/or substantial refurbishment experience would be an advantage.
- Competitive compensation structure including equity participation
- Full benefits (401k with matching, medical, dental, vision)
*** Additional Comments: (06/12/2018)
We’ve had quite a bit of interest in this opportunity since posting this yesterday (06/11/18), as well as a number of inquiries regarding the “nature” of this role, so I’ll try to editorialize what we’re looking for a bit here. If this sounds like a fit for you, then click Apply above, and we'll get in touch in the next week or two if your resume appears to be a good fit. If not, no problem, and good luck with your search.
In short, this opportunity is pretty rare, but so is the right person for it. We are an existing, proven, multi-billion dollar vertically integrated real estate investment company, but are expanding into a new market (Southern California). We have the backing of “household name” private equity partners, but in some respects, will have somewhat of a start-up feel initially because we are building a team that doesn’t exist yet. That said, we don’t have the risk of a start-up company, so to speak, so you get the best of both worlds. But, this isn’t for everybody, so please only apply if you’ve thought through this, and are comfortable with it. Here you will have a real say in who we hire, what we acquire, and the direction we take this. You will be part of building this from the ground up. That said, if you thrive in highly-structured environments, this probably isn’t for you, because the first couple years are going to be reasonably fluid as we build out the Southern California team (we anticipate growing this to at least 20-30 people in the first 3 years, possibly up to 50 people in the first 5 years, depending on volume). If you are looking for an easy job, this probably isn’t for you either because this is going to take some effort, and will require flexibility, creativity and teamwork. If, however, you are passionate about real estate investments, are looking to build a substantial net worth for yourself, have a lot of perseverance and grit, are willing to roll up your sleeves, are a team player, and think the idea of building out a new office for an existing company sounds like fun, than this is a terrific opportunity to consider, and one that doesn't come around very often.
Hope this helps provide a little color of what we’re looking for as you’re considering your options. Thanks for reading!
- Asset Management
- Investment Management
- Alternative Investments
7+ to 10 years
This job is no longer active.