Gehl is a global urban design consultancy offering expertise in public life, public space design, city strategies, master planning, public engagement and urban change management. We are a networked organization with studios in San Francisco, New York and Copenhagen. Our San Francisco and New York studios focus on urban strategy, urban design and implementation of high quality, vibrant urban environments in cities in North and South America.
We are a dynamic and talented team that includes architects, landscape architects, urban designers, sociologists and planners. We are hiring two Business Development Managers to support our New York and San Francisco offices, respectively.
The ideal candidate combines a business degree with extensive experience in sales, business development and establishing strategic partnerships, having achieved significant results for international companies. The candidate has experience working across cultures with diverse public and private clients. Fluency in Spanish and experience in urban design and planning are desirable but not required.
• Residence or ability to locate in New York or San Francisco, with some regular travel in the U.S.
• At least 5 years’ experience as marketing lead or business development manager, international or regional sales manager, account manager or similar
• BA or higher in marketing or design-related field
• Experience managing key accounts, establishing and fostering long business relationships
• Strong interest in public life and urban design
• Analytical, structured, open-minded, entrepreneurial and innovative and with a strong result orientation
• Working knowledge of two or more of the following markets: architecture / landscape architecture, urban planning, strategy consulting, design, urban innovation.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with an eye for graphic design. A creative storyteller who communicates the value of our work in the Gehl voice.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint, Keynote and Adobe InDesign
• Both collaborative and self-directed. Attentive to detail and manages multiple priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Professional, people-focused demeanor and ability to be the public face of the company
• Ability to network and stay abreast of trends, opportunities and news in the field
• Ability to effectively deploy business development strategies and develop new markets.
• Experience using a CRM system
The Business Development Manager will work with the Managing Director, other Business Development Manager(s), and Business Development team to secure a pipeline of high quality urban strategy, planning and design projects for our team across the U.S. She/he will identify and pursue strategic opportunities to grow our services and portfolio, increase brand visibility and produce creative and visually engaging project proposals.
1. Conduct research to identify new business opportunities in different markets and new potential clients
2. Follow up on new business opportunities and arrange business meetings with potential clients
3. Manage calendar of conferences and secure speaking engagements to promote the profile of Gehl and its principals
4. Plan and prepare presentation material for business meetings
5. With support from staff designers and the Gehl Culture & Communications team, create and maintain marketing materials including project cutsheets, CV’s, proposal copy and powerpoint/keynote presentations
6. Monitor RFP/RFQ lists and public notices, evaluate opportunities and develop teaming strategies
7. Draft proposals and respond to pre-qualifications/EOIs/RFPs for public and private clients.
8. Work with project staff to develop proposal narratives, approach, and work plans.
9. Budget estimation in relation to new potential projects
10. Monitor and report on financial KPIs related to business acquisition
11. Develop BD strategy, action plans and initiatives together with the Managing Director and BD team
12. Prepare contracts and sub-consultant contracts
13. Update CRM and sales system – follow up with BD team for current status on leads, quotations, ongoing projects, invoicing, etc.
14. Evaluate, coordinate, monitor and respond to visit and talks enquires
15. Occasional domestic and international travel to develop new business relationships and assess markets
Benefits of Joining Gehl
We are a global, networked organization focused creating cities for people. We promote a culture of learning and innovation drawing on experts from many cities and cultures. Our open, collaborative style allows for growth at all levels of professional development, which we foster through annual study tours, weekly catered learning lunches, and opportunities to engage in new knowledge creation. Our community of collaborators includes staff in our San Francisco, New York and Copenhagen offices, as well as practitioners and advocates around the world who are committed to sustainability, equity and livability. We offer competitive compensation, excellent benefits and paid family leave, and a flexible work environment.
All applications should be submitted through Gehl's online portal on Homerun (click on "Apply Now") and should include a portfolio with examples of proposals and marketing material developed. Applications without portfolios will not be considered. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled. No direct inquiries will be considered or responded to.
- Business Development
- Alternative Investments
- Hospitality / Entertainment
5+ to 7 years