Responsible for the development, implementation, maintenance and delivery of a Sustainability Program for all Shorenstein Realty Services (SRS) offices and managed assets consistent with company strategy and goals. Responsible for communication of the Sustainability Program within the real estate industry, within SRS and with SRS investors. Responsible for benchmarking and measuring performance via independent third-party organizations, such as GRESB, Department of Energy and the United States Green Building Council.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and maintain effective sustainability reporting tools to measure initiative results with respect to environmental impacts such as energy, water, waste, and carbon. Provide regular reporting to PM&C senior management team on a semi-annual basis.
- Manage development and implementation of annual sustainability reporting objectives - covering corporate environmental, social, and governance factors - to be distributed to stakeholders including investors, public agencies, current and prospective tenants, and sustainability reporting organizations. Ensure internally and externally reported information is accurate and complete and appropriately discloses environmental performance, opportunities and risk factors.
- Oversee building ENERGY STAR ratings, annual certification, and compliance with state and local benchmarking laws. Coordinate with and provide information to Managers of Engineering Services on utility performance at each property and on Shorenstein’s utility management standards.
- As appropriate, develop and use case studies to provide internal guidance to Property Managers on implementation of new technologies and sustainability initiatives, including potential financial and environmental impact.
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend external firms to be used for LEED consulting and certifications. Periodically re-evaluate use of external firm in accordance with SRS P&P.
- Develop, implement and maintain a tenant sustainability toolkit to enhance the environmental performance of building occupants
- Chair the Sustainability Committee and review Sustainability Committee initiatives to ensure clarity of purpose and appropriate action items.
- Lead or actively participate in focus groups addressing sustainability objectives, e.g. quarterly newsletter, monthly tenant green tip.
Required Skills, Experience, & Credentials:
- Strong working knowledge of sustainability-related initiatives, policies and procedures as evidenced by a minimum of 5 years of experience, preferably as it applies to commercial real estate.
- Strong working knowledge of effective program development and management as evidenced by a Strong working knowledge of LEED Existing Building ratings system, including credit requirements.
- Strong working knowledge of EPA ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager system, especially as related to annual certification and compliance with state and local benchmarking disclosure laws.
- Strong working knowledge of sustainability/ESG reporting standards, preferably as they apply to commercial real estate (e.g., GRESB).
- Demonstrated ability to view every action and decision in terms of client impact and to understand and anticipate client needs..
- Demonstrated ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, contracts, or governmental regulations; to abstract information appropriate to SRS operations and apply to policies and procedures.
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint.)
- Basic to intermediate proficiency with database applications, including relational database design and SQL.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) in Business or a related field from a four-year college or university.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in developing and implementing sustainability-related programs and initiatives, preferably for commercial real estate.
Ideal Experience & Credentials:
- LEED AP Operations and Maintenance designation required
- RPA desired
To view the full job description and to apply online, please click the link below:
Shorenstein is one of the country’s oldest and most respected real estate organizations active nationally in the ownership and management of high-quality office and residential properties. Due to its success over many years and multiple real estate cycles, Shorenstein has established its reputation as a creative and knowledgeable investor. The company is privately owned and is headquartered in San Francisco. The company’s current portfolio totals 21.3 million square feet in 16 markets, with a gross value of $7.1 billion. Shorenstein provides asset management, leasing, property management and construction services to the properties in its portfolio through its wholly-owned property services affiliate, Shorenstein Realty Services.
Shorenstein is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), status as a protected veteran, disability, genetic information, or any other statuses protected by law.
Shorenstein will consider employment for qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
- Property Management
5+ to 7 years