Who we are:
The Domain Companies is a national real estate development and investment firm focused on making a positive and lasting social, economic, and physical impact on the communities in which we build. Domain is responsible for a diverse range of innovative projects including affordable, mixed-income and luxury apartments, condominiums, hospitality, retail, entertainment venues, and creative workspace.
Our success is a result of our community-focused approach, collective entrepreneurial spirit, and the unique skills and experience of our people. Our team stays at the forefront of our industry by striving for excellence and innovation in everything we do. The result is a dynamic environment that encourages creativity and offers the opportunity for growth and advancement.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking to add a Director of Construction to our Development team in New Orleans, LA. The Director of Construction will take a leadership role in all preconstruction and construction phase activities of development projects from conception through closeout and lease-up. The Director must be capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously, lead the construction and design team while actively monitoring project conformance with project goals, contracts, and lender requirements. The Director will work collaboratively with other members of the development team to seamlessly coordinate and execute all aspects of the development process, including land use, design, financing, construction, and lease up.
The successful candidate must be a self-starter, capable of leading, thinking on their feet, and will interface third-party construction managers, designers and engineers, and work in collaboration with other members of the development team and project partners. Candidate will report to the Co-CEO responsible for oversight of acquisitions, design, and construction.
Among the specific project responsibilities are:
CM CONTRACT NEGOTATION AND ADMINISTRATION:
Qualified candidates will be well versed in the business and legal terms of the AIA form Construction Contracts and General Conditions, (i.e. 133, 201) as well as Architectural and Consultant Agreements and have led the successful negotiation of the same on behalf of GC, CM, or Owner.
· Contract negotiation as well as contract administration during construction.
· Experience and understanding of leading selection process for Construction Manager as design assist or design build partner in development process as well as subcontractors and other 3rd party vendors.
· Assist in the interviewing and selection of outside consultants, including design professionals and engineers. Monitor and coordinate the work effort of all project architects, engineers and consultants to ensure their scope of work is in conformance with the project budget, schedule and development guidelines.
· Review consultant invoices for validity and conformance with contract. Lead any dispute resolution in conjunction with Co-CEO.
The Director will lead preconstruction planning to ensure Construction Manager and design team are engaged in the process, understands the scope and intent of the project, and is working alongside the Director to proactively manage the design to stay in conformance with the project vision and budget. Candidates will have extensive preconstruction project management experience and an understanding of different construction methods and building types in order to direct precon team with the most efficient options for project type. Director will also be responsible for reporting preconstruction status updates to the development team.
· Oversee, coordinate, schedule and attend architectural design/schedule coordination meetings from start of design through completion of CDs and follows through on required action.
· Coordinate estimating with Construction Manager to ensure budget, drawings, and specs align and project stays on GMP target.
· Analyze construction/development costs and determine the impact on the development.
· Analyze project schedules, including durations, critical path activities, long lead activities, sequencing and schedule acceleration to meet hard deadlines.
· Analyze project site logistics to determine the most efficient plan for the project.
· Prepare monthly reports regarding the status of each development including status of construction, cost variances, unresolved items and other project related reports.
· Review drawings at each design milestone for constructability, coordination, and estimating gaps. Ensure plans align with all aspects of financing requirements. Check against project milestone checklists.
· Analyze LEED / Energy Star / EGC and other sustainable accreditation designations and determine the impact on the development.
The Director attends all OAC meetings with Design Manager to ensure project is staying on schedule and budget, all design issues are being resolved reasonably and timely and actively maintains a strong relationship with Construction Manager. The Director will lead and be responsible for business related Construction phase items such as change order management, schedule management, quality assurance, and requisition management.
· Visit project sites regularly with Design Managers to understand project schedule, budget, and conformance with construction documents.
· Review and coordinate Change Orders with design team to determine legitimate costs and estimate provided is reasonable per the Contract. Approve, reject, and / or negotiate all Change Orders with the Construction Manager.
· Maintain a Change Order log of anticipated, pending, and approved COs and manage this versus project contingency.
· Monitor delivery dates and understands the impact of these on operational start dates and project financing
· Monitors project closeout including contract closeouts, punch list, transition to operations team and final payments.
· Review monthly draw for conformance with financing requirements and coordinates draw submittal with accounting.
· Coordinate the maintenance of the physical plant with the operations team post transition.
KEY SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
· Minimum 10 years of progressive construction experience on multifamily, and/or commercial development projects.
· Travel Requirements: Due to development projects across the US, 30% travel is required
· Recent, relevant direct experience with a construction manager, owners rep, or development firm
· College degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture, or related real estate field.
· Excellent computer skills, with emphasis on Word, Excel, Power Point, Procore, Bluebeam, PlanGrid, etc.
· Basic familiarity with real estate related financial terminology.
· Strong dispute resolution skills
· Ability to prioritize work assignments and adapt to changing priorities
· Strong leadership, organization, and communication skills
· Good oral, written and interpersonal skills
· Ability to perform under pressure
- Property Management
10+ to 15 years
Apply for this job