The ULI Foundation provides philanthropic support on behalf of the Urban Land Institute (ULI) and its members. In supporting ULI, the ULI Foundation seeks private funds from individuals, foundations, and corporations for priority initiatives and carries out such activities as prospect identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and donor stewardship; generation of proposals; grants management; and management of the Foundation s board of directors. The ULI Foundation is seeking a Vice President, Principal Gifts, to lead its principal gifts program, which is charged with managing relationships and securing support from donors who are capable of making gifts of $100,000 or more for strategic priorities, programs, and mission-centric initiatives of ULI. This position will report to the President and Chief Advancement Officer, ULI Foundation, and will work closely and collaboratively with institutional leadership. The executive will lead a team of gift officers in meeting and exceeding established fundraising attainment goals for the Foundation. As a senior member of the Advancement team, the Vice President, Principal Gifts, will develop gift opportunities and fundraising strategies to secure leadership and transformational philanthropic commitments ($100,000+), including planned gifts and endowment support. The successful candidate will carry a portfolio of approximately 100 highly rated donors and prospects while leading a team with prospect portfolios totaling 200 and more.
- Develop and implement comprehensive short- and long-range strategies to meet the goals and objectives of the principal giving program.
- Work closely with the prospect research team on the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of principal gift prospects.
- Provide leadership and direction to the major gifts team; set priorities and goals for the major gifts team and for several direct reports, including major gift officers.
- Collaborate effectively with senior management, board leadership, trustees, advisers, key volunteers, and advancement staff to create a culture of philanthropy that fosters and encourages transformative gifts.
- Manage the design and development of principal gift donor engagement programs, communication materials, and stewardship initiatives.
- Manage a portfolio of principal gift prospects directly and ensure the timely cultivation and solicitation of these individuals.
- In collaboration with the Chief Advancement Officer, create strategies for including gift planning discussions into the principal gift prospect cultivation.
- Assist with the support and coordination of all aspects of development work for the Chief Advancement Officer, the Chair of the Foundation Board, the Chair of the Campaign Committee, and other leaders.
- Serve as a member of appropriate professional organizations.
- Collaborate with the Director of Advancement Services to ensure that the advancement operation sets and adheres to best practices.
- Maintain a leadership style that is open and empowers team members through active communication, collaboration, and delegation.
- Contribute to the overall success of the ULI Foundation by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum 10 years experience in a senior management role.
- Experience supervising a professional staff is desired.
- Must demonstrate a proven track record of securing large major gifts and increasing contributions.
- Direct experience in developing and implementing sophisticated strategies for donor/volunteer involvement and proven ability to close gifts is required.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from key leaders, donors, and volunteers is required.
- Excellent listening, writing, and speaking skills are necessary.
- Previous experience in executing prospect moves management in a comprehensive philanthropic fundraising campaign is preferred.
- Bachelor s degree from an accredited college/university and seven years related experience in development for an education and research-extensive institution, with a specific focus on principal-level gifts or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
To apply, please click on the apply now button and submit an application in ADP Workforce Now. Please submit a r sum and letter of interest.
EOE/m/f/d/v. No relocation reimbursement is offered at this time.
- Asset Management
- Business Development
- Portfolio Management
10+ to 15 years
This job is no longer active.