Nuveen Real Estate is one of the largest real estate investment managers in the world with $125 billion of assets under management. Managing a suite of funds and mandates, across both public and private investments, and spanning both debt and equity across diverse geographies and investment styles, we provide access to every aspect of real estate investing.
With over 80 years of real estate investing experience and more than 500 employees* located across over 20 cities throughout the United States, Europe and Asia Pacific, the platform offers unparalleled geographic reach, which is married with deep sector expertise.
The Director of Asset Management role will be responsible for the strategic implementation of all initiatives detailed within the approved business plan and asset management oversight of their portfolio of assigned properties. Responsibility includes successful execution of the stated financial, and operational goals. Leading clear and concise communication to 3rd party property managers and leasing agents is mandatory. Essential to the role is an ability to create value at the assets by displaying solid business acumen negotiating leases.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated knowledge of real estate fundamentals, and can develop and implement strategies that will maximize the financial performance and value of the portfolio of assigned assets.
The role requires an ambitious, motivated self-starter, to assist in growing the NYC Office platform, and help establish a high performance team culture and workplace.
- Evaluate, hire and oversee local third party property managers and leasing agents
- Propose goals and objectives for each property
- Lead the preparation and approval process of property operating budgets
- Ensure that property managers are providing timely operating and accounting information.
- Form a close relationship with property management personnel at all levels to successfully monitor the operations by conducting routine site visits and inspections, discuss leasing, occupancy, capex and/or renovation program to maximize the profitability of each asset
- Ability to model in Excel
- Lead quarterly and annual reporting of the portfolio
- Participate in due diligence of proposed new investment acquisitions and preparation of acquisition support, and writing proposal for final investment committee presentations
- Analyses operating statements and identifies any variances as compared to the budget and business plan and incorporate a action plan if necessary, proactively managing cash flow, resolving always to the business plan or better.
- Development/redevelopment experience in New York City
- Ensure there is an effective process for Identifying, classifying, quantifying and mitigating risk
- Participate and contribute to investor presentations and teleconferences as required
- Prepares reports for internal use with management, portfolio managers and others, including investors as needed and/or directed
- Perform long-term analyses using Argus to project future valuations
- BA or BS is mandatory and an MS/MBA is preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in real estate asset management as a fiduciary, with at least 5 years of experience in a senior asset management role with a leading real estate asset manager.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other functional teams, such as legal, accounting, middle, and back office personnel to authorize and record transactions and to follow procedures.
- Participates in industry forums and promotes the Nuveen Real Estate platform
- Strong team player with exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to translate between being strategically minded and tactically focused to ensure team effectively executes critical enterprise deliverables/objectives
- Travel requires (5-15%)
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it’s our commitment.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
*©2019 Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America (TIAA), 730 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017 C23921
- Asset Management
- Investment Management
- Property Management
Apply for this job