Real Estate Analyst Overview: Conduct detailed commercial real estate market and competitive position research, financial and statistical analyses and report preparation and assembly to support business operations and achieve expected returns on investments.
Typically, with less than three years of relevant experience, act in a role that is typically “behind the scenes”. Primarily supporting National’s Investment and Portfolio & Asset Management departments providing analytical support for acquisition, development, and operations, including financing and disposition due diligence and closing requirements to assess the current and projected performance of properties.
- Conduct detailed commercial real estate market and competitive position research, financial and statistical analyses and report preparation and assembly to support business operations and achieve expected returns on investments.
- Prepare due diligence records, including final pro forma, property valuation files, and third-party reports for record retention.
- Provide analytical support for acquisition, financing, restructuring, hold/sell scenarios, and dispositions. Perform overall financial analyses to support business operations and achieve expected returns on investments.
- Proficiently perform a variety of financial modeling techniques to implement plans and budgets consistent with National’s development, acquisition, financing, leasing, operating, and disposition strategies. Prepare ad-hoc reports as needed.
- Demonstrate understanding of how the Investment and Portfolio Management Staff identifies, analyzes and monitors investments from origination through the pre-development period using MS Excel-based financial models in support of evaluating and underwriting prospective equity and debt investments.
- Assist asset managers in analyzing, monitoring, and managing specific investments from closing through the final investment disposition process, including construction draw processing and reporting requirements.
- Prepare financial analysis/modeling at the portfolio level, including preparing the necessary documents/reports for review by senior associates in Portfolio & Asset Management, Performance Reporting and Investor Relations groups.
- Attend and actively contribute to internal Staff meetings, interacting with various levels of Staff and providing research and analysis feedback regarding various investments.
- Develop analytical tools as requested by Supervisor and Executive Staff, including refining reports from researched material and/or data collected to evaluate and report on the primary characteristics of its portfolios under management.
- Periodic overnight travel is required on an as needed project-specific basis to attend meetings, complete research, and participate in other special events.
- Exercise due care and in accordance with company policy when accessing National’s systems and information assets, ensuring that, as appropriate, the confidentiality and privacy of data is maintained at all times.
- Uphold meticulous recordkeeping practices, ensuring that documentation is preserved in accordance with policy and regulation, and available for inquiries or examinations in real-time. Research and oversee systematic record retention, protection, retrieval, transfer, and disposal of records.
- Demonstrate commitment to National’s Sustainability Policy and best practices where feasible by incorporating environmental, social and governance dimensions in daily business activities and decision-making.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strict adherence to the terms and provisions as detailed in National’s Employee Handbook.
- Complete compliance with National’s Regulatory Compliance Manual, Code of Ethics and underlying compliance policies and procedures.
- Participate in assisting the Investment Staff in the due diligence process and successfully closing an investment, including finalizing documentation, third-party reimbursement billing and transfer of investment documentation to record retention.
- Support the written and oral presentation processes of new and existing investments and assist in presentation processes as directed.
- Successful completion of undergraduate level coursework in real estate, finance, economics, mathematics, and accounting or computer systems is required, graduate level is preferred.
- No prior commercial real estate investment experience is required, but self-motivation and a proactive demonstration of initiative to maximize “on-the-job” training opportunities and the aptitude to acquire this particular, specialized knowledge and skill set is required.
- Must be highly detailed and possess excellent financial, mathematical and statistical skills and can often work with complex databases and/or quantitative tools with proficiency and accuracy for extended periods of time. Must have a strong work ethic and remain committed to meeting deadlines.
- Have the ability to exhibit solid analytical and critical thinking skills and effective verbal and written communication; have the ability to attempt to understand and appropriately articulate financial considerations, market demand, project feasibility, financing, and environmental considerations related to sound investments after a normal orientation period.
- Must be able to interact professionally with colleagues and multi-task, in a fast-paced, complex working environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite programs and intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel is required; knowledge of real estate analysis software such as Argus is required in addition to Power Point, Outlook and Word.
- This job primarily operates in a clerical, office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers and phones. It is a sedentary role in a professional environment; however, incumbent is required to regularly walk, sit, talk and/or hear, reach with hands and arms.
- Minimal travel is required for this position.
The work environment and physical demand characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The employee in this position will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at National will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. National does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Financial Analysis
- Research/Market Analysis
- Due Diligence
- Alternative Investments
- Hospitality / Entertainment
2+ to 5 years
This job is no longer active.