Mack Real Estate Group (“MREG”) is an integrated real estate investor, developer, owner, operator and lender devoted to managing institutional, high net worth, and Mack family capital by making debt and equity investments in real estate and real estate-related securities through several distinct business lines. MREG is currently focused on multifamily development in high barrier to entry, major US urban markets.
Its affiliated credit business, Mack Real Estate Credit Strategies, L.P. (“MRECS”) is focused on commercial real estate lending and debt investment. Collectively, the firm’s principals have decades of global real estate experience and have raised and invested billions of dollars of equity capital in debt and equity real estate transactions including through their involvement with AREA Property Partners f/k/a Apollo Real Estate Advisers, which William Mack founded in 1993. MREG is headquartered in New York City with affiliated development offices in Los Angeles and Seattle.
At Mack Real Estate Group, we look to attract and retain the brightest minds in the business, hiring professionals across a wide range of disciplines with a passion for real estate. Our employees are integral to the firm’s identity, contributing to a culture of integrity, professionalism, and excellence. It is our dedication and passion for our work that has helped MREG become a trusted partner for some of the largest institutional investors in the world. We encourage independent thinking, collaboration and reward initiative, while providing services to help employees grow professionally. While MREG is opportunistic and maintains a flexible approach to real estate investment, the current equity investment focus is on urban multifamily development and investment in high barrier to entry, major US urban markets.
Role Description & Essential Functions
Key member of the ESG Task Force, composed of colleagues in Capital Raising and Investor Relations, Investment, and Development roles. Together, the ESG Task Force reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer, Chief Compliance Officer, and Managing Director and Head of Capital Raising & Investor Relations. The ESG Task Force also taps into a greater cross-functional network of ESG Department Representatives from various departments including development, property management (both engineering and marketing), compliance, and human resources and spread across our New York, Seattle, and Los Angeles offices.
The overarching goal for the ESG Task Force is to advance and deepen the integration of MREG’s ESG objectives into our equity and debt business lines and corporate operations. We seek to evaluate and integrate sustainable practices, green building design, and smart technology into development and management of new and existing properties when we have control of a property. The responsibilities of the EGS Research Analyst may include but are not limited to:
- Develop and deliver strategy recommendations to advance MREG’s ESG objectives. Provide the highest level of tactical advice and execution to advance MREG’s ESG objectives
- Support ESG Task Force and the ESG Department Representatives efforts to implement ESG initiatives across all MREG business lines and corporate operations
- Collaborate with the equity investment and debt originations teams to summarize ESG considerations of potential acquisition and origination deals; incorporate findings into investment committee memos
- Be a thought leader. Identify opportunities with external parties (Ceres, BSR, and others where feasible), processes, consultants, vendors, and products to advance MREG’s ESG objectives
- Engage with ESG Reporting Systems (e.g. GRESB, UNPRI, TCFD, UNSDGs, GRI, SASB, etc.) to understand methodologies and stay current on emerging trends in reporting and its implications to our operations. Develop a tactical approach to analyze, summarize and consolidate a wide variety of data into cohesive reporting
Ideally, candidates (are/have):
- Pursuing a relevant master’s degree from an accredited institution (such as, but not limited to, sustainability, environmental and earth sciences/natural resources, business/economics, politics/environmental policy, bio-environmental/civil engineering)
- Perceive ESG factors as important considerations in business processes and understand its importance in long-term value creation
- Able to maintain harmonious cross-functional collaboration, and develop balanced recommendations for projects
- Excited to be a thought leader on sustainability. (Conversely, we are excited to share our expertise on real estate, financial services, construction, etc.)
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Gifted with a drive to execute: passionate about translating aspiration into action
- 1-2 years of relevant professional experience in sustainability, environmental policy, environmental engineering, cleantech, etc.
- Possess a collaborative spirit and “self-starter” attitude matched with an ability to organize, multi-task, and prioritize in order to meet critical deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment
- Strong financial modelling skills (this would be a bonus!)