Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is hiring a Manager, Commercial Property in our Facilities department in Waltham, MA.
Drive proactive and strategic planning process in the management of surplus property including strategic assessment of disposition options and oversight of all operations and financial activities. This position will lead the effort to ensure optimization of the surplus property portfolio through direct dispositions, long term leases and possible joint venture options.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a planning or real estate professional with strong analytical skills and a desire to make a positive impact. Strong candidates will bring experience in real estate development and finance, planning the reuse of complex properties, working with local communities and permitting/implementation of transactions.
- Analyze and make recommendations with respect to strategic dispositions, investment and market opportunities, hold versus sell analysis, feasibility studies, asset review and market studies, highest and best use analysis, acquisition analysis and valuations for sale/leaseback purposes.
- Lead the surplus property review and develop creative strategies that drive value creation for National Grid in line with established objectives.
- Obtain market data (including supply/demand, market rents, landlord financial conditions, trends and other pertinent information) to identify market-driven opportunities for cost savings, consolidation, flexibility, control, etc.
- Manage and plan the productive reuse of National Grid owned property no longer needed for utility use.
- Manages the creative redevelopment of properties, including development and implementation of reuse strategies and plans.
- Prepares Requests for Development Proposals, including evaluation and developer selection.
- Leads a team of consultants/contractors in preparation of documents such as land disposition agreements, memorandum of understanding, deeds and leases.
- Works in conjunction with outside consultants to assess physical and financial feasibility of potential projects, which may include housing, commercial and/or mixed-use development.
- Provides guidance to survey, appraisal and planning firms. Prepares scopes of services, manages work plans, keeping projects on time and on budget.
- Plan and manage projects.
- Collaborate with the appropriate organizations and regulators.
- Create detailed work plans which identify and sequence the activities and resources needed to successfully complete projects.
- Develop a schedule for project completion that effectively allocates the resources to the activities.
- Review project schedules and objectives with senior management and all other staff that will be affected by project activities; revises required.
- Engage stakeholders in planning and design process, incorporate into plan, and receive general acceptance.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Economics, Real Estate, Finance, or other related discipline.
- 10-15 years of strategy, real estate finance-related activity in a corporate real estate environment, facilities planning and space planning.
- Background in transactions, real estate project management, construction management architecture or engineering desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to lead complicated projects and interdisciplinary teams with working knowledge of transactions capital planning and occupancy planning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in developing and driving proactive and strategic planning processes to deliver portfolio optimization and savings.
- Experience managing space data management and occupancy planning functions.
- Proven advanced business case development experience.
- Mature practical commercial experience including advanced financial acumen and analytical skills.
- Proficiency with advanced technology and tools.
- Creative and innovative thinking.
- Demonstrated ability to work across business units/partners to deliver options and secure decisions.
- Organizational savvy and agility.
- Solid negotiation and influencing skills.
- Ability to command presence and credibility with all levels of an organization.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
- Facilities Management
10+ to 15 years