BioMed Realty, a Blackstone portfolio company, is the Leading Provider of Real Estate Solutions to the Life Science Community. We are looking for an accomplished Regional Director for our West Coast Property Management team to oversee and coordinate the operational activities for a portfolio of bio-tech and life-science real estate. The successful candidate will collaborate with internal teams and third-party vendors to maintain high-quality office and lab environments.
Operations and Tenant Relations:
- Supervises property management staff who are responsible for day-to-day commercial real estate operations.
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with tenants, vendors, local jurisdictions and community constituents.
- Establishes strategies to meet company goals and monitors key performance indicators to meet or exceed expectations.
- Routinely conducts site inspections to assess the physical conditions of the assets and to help ensure the assets appearance and maintenance meet or exceed BMR expectations.
- Collaborates with and supports facility management on all building mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and structural issues.
- Works closely with risk management to mitigate physical risk at the properties and minimize contract exposure through proper contract language. Monitors certificates of insurance for compliance and ensures insurance claims are completed properly and submitted timely.
- Ensures adherence to tenant lease and vendor contract terms. Reviews lease and contract language to help minimize risk and ensure lease language and scopes of work are comprehensive and properly reflected within the documents.
- Ensures policies and procedures are adhered to and helps identify opportunities for improvement and implements accordingly. Keeps operation policies and training tools/resources current.
- Provides guidance and support on legal, risk and regulatory issues related to operations.
- Prepares recurring operational reports.
- Reviews, oversees and is responsible for the budget process and shares responsibility for the overall financial performance and ongoing performance of the assigned real estate portfolio.
- Reviews, approves and monitors capital and major R&M spending and assists with reforecasts.
- Analyzes financial reports to ensure P&L performance, revenue growth and expense controls are met.
- Ensures A/P and A/R accounts remain current within their identified portfolio.
- Reviews and implements RFP processes to help ensure the scope of work is correct and prices are competitive.
- Provides guidance on tenant financial issues to include defaults, bankruptcies and financial reorganizations.
- Provides recurring financial and accounting updates as requested.
- Participates in due diligence for pending acquisitions to include the review of: leases, service contracts, rents, tenant interviews, environmental reports, engineering and appraisal reports, regulatory requirements, and financial information. Is able to provide comprehensive and detailed assessment of asset--existing conditions and required improvements.
- Identifies and implements opportunities in the portfolio to maximize value and enhance the performance of the properties.
- Oversees and participates in the development and implementation of detailed value added strategies to maximize net operating income, distributable cash flow, appraised value and market value.
- Monitors competition and market conditions to help develop and implement action plans to remain competitive and current.
- Ensures the property management team meets or exceeds performance standards, ensures the property management team receives the necessary training and support to be successful, evaluates staff performance, and appropriately manages staffing concerns.
- BA/BS in business, economics, or related field required.
- MBA desirable.
- Certification in asset or property management a plus.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive real estate asset management experience.
- Experience in a management position with life science and/or laboratory facilities properties preferred.
- Must possess a track record of success in real estate operations management, tenant and vendor relations, property and building maintenance, planning and budgeting.
- Experience should also include performing due diligence in the sale or acquisition process.
- Requires in-depth knowledge of financial terms and principles and the ability to forecast and prepare budgets and reports summarizing the financial, operating, capital, leasing and vacancy performance data.
- Must be able to develop and maintain effective working relationships with regulatory agencies, vendors, contractors and tenants.
- Requires a working knowledge of lease administration, real estate law and the ability to accurately interpret terms and conditions of contracts, proposals, and leases and interface effectively with tenants and vendors to facilitate conformance, schedules, improvements and operational efficiencies.
- Requires senior-level negotiation, interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate with senior management.
- Ability to convey technical information orally and in writing in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to take detailed notes and to write effective communications to tenants, vendors, suppliers, and contracted firms.
- Ability to prepare reports and presentations and to present alternative solutions, cost/benefit analyses and recommendations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal company staff and external constituents of the company.
- Computer literate including proficiency with Excel, Word, Outlook and MRI.
- Experience with project management software/tools helpful.
- Must be organized, task and detail-oriented, and able to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment with multiple deadlines.
- Must be able to adapt readily to competing priorities.
- Must be able to respond to urgent matters after hours.
- Property Management
10+ to 15 years
This job is no longer active.