About the Company:
Regency Centers Corporation (Nasdaq: REG) Regency Centers is the preeminent national owner, operator, and developer of shopping centers located in affluent and densely populated trade areas. Our portfolio includes thriving properties merchandised with highly productive grocers, restaurants, service providers, and best-in-class retailers that connect to their neighborhoods, communities, and customers. Operating as a fully integrated real estate company, Regency Centers is a qualified real estate investment trust (REIT) that is self-administered, self-managed, and an S&P 500 Index member. For more information, please visit .
About this Opportunity:
Regency Centers is seeking a General Counsel to join our corporate office located in Jacksonville, FL. The General Counsel will be the senior legal advisor providing strategic and tactical legal counsel to Regency’s Board of Directors and Senior Management and will have overall responsibility for all legal work arising from the activities of Regency. The General Counsel will be an integral part of Regency’s senior leadership team and will serve as Corporate Secretary and Chief Compliance Officer for the company. Chief among the General Counsel’s duties will be to provide counsel on corporate governance affairs and securities compliance, strategic and complex business and commercial transactions, and the G.C. will serve as a key resource on regulatory compliance. This position will be directly involved in a wide range of significant critical company transactions and transitions, and will oversee the risk management function. Reporting directly to the CEO/President, the General Counsel will also serve as the leader of the Company’s legal team and will manage and oversee the company’s legal department and all matters handled therein.
- Direct and oversee the company’s legal affairs, providing counsel and advice to the CEO, President, officers and Board of Directors
- Direct and manage all corporate legal activity of inside and outside counsel and establish, manage, maintain and develop relationships with outside counsel
- Advise the Board of Directors, various Board Committees and senior management regarding corporate governance, disclosure, reporting and other public company regulatory matters
- Ensure compliance with the federal securities laws and rules of the New York Stock Exchange, including the requirements of Sarbanes Oxley and Dodd Frank, as well as all applicable laws and regulations relating to the development, operation and management of the Company’s real estate business
- Lead and manage the corporate governance function including serving as Chief Compliance Officer and Corporate Secretary and overseeing related policies and practices
- Oversee risk management function
Oversee in-house counsel with respect to legal matters arising from all facets of real estate acquisition, leasing, development, financing, management and disposition, and ensure effective workflow and professional growth within the in-house legal department. Effective management and development of legal department staff, leading department to meet objectives and budget and encouraging success of team members
- J.D. from an accredited U.S. law school
- Active state bar license in good standing and, if not in Florida, the ability to obtain Florida Authorized House Counsel certification
- Fifteen (15) + years of general corporate legal experience (M&A, corporate governance & regulatory compliance, public company securities reporting and offerings, financings, and commercial transactions and contracts), preferably with a combination of major U.S. law firm and in-house experience; i.e., significant experience providing legal and business counsel to a complex commercial enterprise, either as a sitting General Counsel or Associate General Counsel with a publicly traded or substantial private company or as a partner in a law firm, demonstrating a work history with positions of increasing responsibility
- Overall broad legal knowledge (litigation, employment, real estate, risk, environmental, tax, employment, joint ventures, data privacy and cybersecurity, intellectual property, project management, and contract drafting)
- Experience interacting routinely with the board of directors of a public company and advising management and the board on corporate governance matters and enterprise risk management
- Prior experience of managing and leading a company’s legal function or a department, office or team of legal professionals in a law firm
- Pragmatic business acumen with the ability to recognize the business consequences of legal advice
- Real estate and public REIT experience
- Experience with privacy and cybersecurity laws and protections
- Experience with corporate crisis management, management of complex litigation, and or management of corporate portfolio transactions
- Experience in legal operations management (e.g., use of data analytics)
- Extensive professional and/or peer network
- Comfortable with numbers, but extremely competent with numerical reasoning
Integrity and Professionalism- Must be a self-assured, independent professional with high degree of integrity and ethics, able to handle sensitive matters discreetly with confidentiality, diplomacy and professionalism.
Leadership Skills- Must be a natural leader of people, able to develop an effective and engaged team and a high performance culture, focused on developing team members to achieve their goals in alignment with Regency’s goals. Must be capable of properly assessing a team and instituting a strategy to enhance the team based on performance and talent. Highly motivated, passionate and creative team player with demonstrated commitment to organizational culture, goals and objectives
Management Skills- Skilled in outside counsel management, including project management, rate negotiation and development of trusted counsel relationships.
Work Style- Must be capable of building strong interpersonal relationships with senior management, the Board, and business leaders at all levels. Proactive, highly collaborative style; positive attitude and ability to work in a collaborative environment while effectively communicating legal concepts to teammates throughout the organization; must have proven track record as a team player and culture builder. Must possess excellent organizational, written & verbal communication and time management skills with ability to prioritize and effectively handle multiple priorities with tight deadlines in fast paced environment. Must approach the resolution of legal concerns pragmatically while protecting Regency’s interests and goals. Must be comfortable handling conflict, remaining a calm influence in stressful situations
- Business Acumen- Able to develop legal strategy, articulate guiding principles, and drive appropriate outcomes. Energetic, creative and self-motivated individual who has a passion for understanding the business and contributing in a meaningful way to its business strategy and long term strategic goals
We recognize people as our most valuable asset. Our competitive compensation and benefits package includes a 401(k) profit sharing plan with company match, medical insurance with prescription drug coverage, dental insurance including coverage for orthodontics, vision insurance, an incentive-based wellness program, flexible spending accounts, paid parental leave and compassion leave, company-paid short-term and long-term disability insurance, company-paid life insurance, educational assistance, matching charitable gifts, flexible paid time off, and paid holidays.
*Regency Centers is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, or protected veteran status. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation. Regency Centers is a smoke-free and drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screening is required. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Only candidates whose profiles closely match requirements will be contacted during this search.
More than 15 years