Founded in 1981, The John Buck Company (JBC) has established a track record and reputation as a premier, vertically-integrated real estate operating company focused on major U.S. urban markets. Since inception, JBC has made principal investments in assets comprising more than $6.7 billion of gross value, and acquired, developed, or redeveloped over 42 million square feet of office, residential and mixed-use properties.
The Assistant Property Manager is responsible for monitoring operational expenses and revenues at the property, ultimately driving NOI. This position manages invoice payments, billing to residents, rent delinquency and cash receivables. This role also assists the Property Manager in preparing monthly and quarterly financial statements, and serves as a liaison for leasing activity and reporting to achieve leasing and occupancy goals and drive financial performance of the asset.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares on-site documentation related to purchasing, invoice billing and payment and corresponding batch reports (i.e., processing, monitoring and coding).
- Collects all resident receivables, manages all resident ledgers regarding posting rent payments and charging of fees, deposits payments in bank.
- Completes and maintains all standing purchase orders for all service contracts and recurring payments to vendors.
- Distributes notices to all delinquent residents, conducts follow-up activity for non-payment of rent or eviction proceedings.
- Helps to ensure that property accounting and financial reporting are administered in a timely fashion and with accuracy. Supports General Manager in working with the corporate accounting personnel to establish monthly accounting guidelines, develop high quality forecast analysis, and formulate clear and concise explanations for operational and financial variances.
- Helps identify new opportunities to generate additional income.
- Understands and complies with state laws regarding the collection of delinquent accounts.
Property Management & Administrative
- Works closely with General Manager to develop onsite management team that effectively sells the quality and professionalism of the community and organization.
- Proactively communicates operational concerns and pending property issues to General Manager. Communication should be clear, well thought out and accompanied by recommended resolutions.
- Serves as a representative of the building and ownership in dealing with residents, prospective residents, vendors, city, unions and trade associations. Engage in networking activities in the marketplace and with peers.
- Maintains credit applications for new vendors and verifies all vendor approval forms have been completed.
- Consistently implements policies of the community.
- Assembles data used in the creation of financial statements.
- Tracks service tickets to ensure that all service tickets are accounted for and closed appropriately.
- Prepares tenant monthly statements. Handles tenant account inquires.
Operations / Projects
- Responsible for the safety of the building occupants and appearance and preservation of the physical asset. Oversees engineering and maintenance activities and cleaning operations. Institutes and administers the building inspection program and implements procedures to correct deficiencies, if necessary. Ensures an annual formal inspection is completed by mid-year and on-going property inspections are completed by property personnel.
- Administers property apartment turn procedures to ensure timely completion of apartment turn-over based on leasing requirements as well as minimal number of “down” apartments.
- Reviews plans and specifications and assists with the coordination of tenant improvement work for new and renewal non-residential tenants. Manages construction / capital improvement projects at the property level.
- Develops and presents complete, clear and concise analyses and recommendations for all budgeted and unbudgeted projects based on proper bidding parameters. Implements projects on-time and within approved budgets.
- Effectively uses property work order systems to measure property performance including proper response times and billing accuracy.
- Supervises vendors, determining acceptable performance administering contracts, and negotiating and/or resolving issues and disputes. Manages contract obligations to ensure the services are completed with the contract scope and cost. Identifies opportunities for cost savings.
- Stays abreast of governmental issues, labor issues, and code issues affecting the property.
Leasing and Marketing
- Supports the marketing and leasing efforts for all assigned properties. Reviews lease documents for operational accuracy. Understands screening and approval process for new residents.
- Helps to implement property leasing and occupancy plan, including achieving market rental rates, conversion ratios and resident retention goals.
- Supports the overall marketing efforts of the community. Monitors advertising effectiveness and analyze concerns that may exist with community, offer recommendations to the team.
- Analyzes concerns associated with apartments that are slow to lease and offers recommendations.
- Ensures that all leases and addenda are completed accurately regarding addresses, names, rates, signatures etc.
- Maintains detailed and accurate knowledge of all aspects of community, particularly in pricing, vacancies, lease expirations.
- Gathers information about market competition in the area, prepares reports and understands real estate trends and conditions in the submarket. Shops the competitive product within area.
- Helps implement schedule of responsibility for leasing team, including leasing path regarding model apartments, common areas, and vacant apartments in preparation of daily tours.
- Keeps up to date with outreach to community and surrounding businesses to drive occupancy by presenting and selling the benefits of the property.
- Handles lease renewals and follows up accordingly. Ensures lease renewals and notices are executed and updated in property software system in a timely matter.
- Assists with the weekly traffic report including number of tours and rentals, updated incentives, and occupancy and leasing percentages from the selected competition.
- Maintains knowledge of market trends and shops competitive set. Assists on leasing and marketing reporting, including survey, incentive offerings, rental rates, etc.
- Assists with resident retention program and planning resident functions. Attends functions and participates as host for any functions as directed by the Property Manager.
- Assists with regular outreach to community and surrounding businesses to drive occupancy by presenting and selling the benefits of the property.
Leadership and Customer Service
- Proactively communicates concerns and solutions to General Manager to improve overall community operation. Maintains open dialogue with both General Manager and Maintenance Supervisor.
- Serves as a representative of the building and ownership in dealing with residents, prospective residents, vendors, city, unions and trade associations.
- Understands and complies with state and landlord-tenant Fair Housing laws and standards.
- Assumes supervisory responsibilities and management of the property in the absence of the General Manager.
- Ensures all maintenance repairs are handled satisfactorily by contacting residents with completed Service Requests on a weekly basis.
- Conducts follow up activity as needed with prospects and residents to establish positive resident relations.
- Assists General Manager with ensuring a superior level of customer service is consistent across all areas of the property in regard to concierge, maintenance and leasing staff.
Essential Job Functions
- Fair Housing Certification must obtain prior to touring prospects.
- Demonstrates an ability to support and contribute to community team in a cooperative and respectful manner.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Operates telephone, personal computer/keyboard, Microsoft Office including Word, MS Outlook and Excel, community software (MRI).
- Must understand basic accounting concepts and be proficient in the use of accounting software.
- Must possess a positive attitude and the ability to work under pressure in a professional, efficient and effective manner.
- Participates in training to comply with new or existing laws.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in real estate accounting and/or property management a plus.
- Neat, clean, professional appearance at all times throughout the workday and/or whenever present at the community.
- Complies with expectations as demonstrated in the employee handbook.
- Demonstrates ability to diffuse and respond to customer concerns to avoid escalation of the problem.
- Successfully passes drug test.
- Performs other related duties as required and follows all Company Policies and Rules. (Related duties, as required, are duties which may not be specifically listed in the position description but are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically associated with the employee’s class of work.)
- Accounting / Control
2+ to 5 years
Apply for this job