Lendlease and Google have signed a partnership agreement to jointly undertake the master planning, entitlement and development of four new neighborhoods in the San Francisco Bay Area cities of San Jose, Sunnyvale and Mountain View, over the next 15 years, with an estimated end development value of approximately $15 billion.
These four districts will be genuine mixed-use neighborhoods and will be comprised of more than 15 million square feet of office, residential, retail, hospitality and community development space. Under the agreement, Google will focus on the delivery of the office components and Lendlease will be the developer, builder and owner of the residential, retail, hospitality and community components. The project will ultimately bring approximately 15,000 new units (mix of condo, multi-family, co-living and affordable housing) to a region that is in need of residential investment. Master planning has already begun and subject to planning approval, delivery of the project should begin as early as 2022.
The Head of Retail and Place will develop and implement the strategy and business plan for the Integrated Ground Plane across three districts or mixed- use urban regeneration developments in Silicon Valley, ensuring short and long term financial and performance objectives are met. Will own and manage key internal and external stakeholder relationships for the residential portfolio and be accountable to deliver outcomes in accordance with the overall project objectives.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Responsible for the implementation of the Google Place Principles framework and approach across each District, with an in-depth knowledge of the history, community and people.
- Accountability for articulating a clear Place Vision.
- Responsible for setting a clear Retail Vision, including tenanting strategy by district, ensuring retail, community uses, and social sustainability outcomes are delivered in line with Lendlease values and principles
- Advocate & Lead, Retail & Place delivery strategies and ensure detailed district and design briefs are consistent with place pillars and vision (aligned to GDV Strategy).
- Align strategy for Retail Development by District in accordance with targets set by Google and Lendlease Heads of Development.
- Strategy and implementation of Retail uses below residential is to be prioritised and considered in line with the retail across the total district.
- Responsible for the visionary delivery of latest in digital companion opportunities to drive ground plane interaction
- Provide strong, directional leadership for your team across retail trends, retail uses and market relevant information on an ongoing basis
- Establish credibility across all district leads with response to creating quality of mix and active, vibrant ground plane experiences –Translating the Vision into delivery outcomes
- Demonstrate a voice of knowledge and expertise with continued reinforcement in all interactions with the client, design teams, urban planners and master plan architects
- Ensure retail team is aligned on Google and Lendlease sustainability initiatives for ground plane uses, green leases and full suite of tools to deliver according to Carbon Management 2025 standards.
- Lead and guide retail team to set strategy with regard to market rents, TI contribution and projected operational expenses.
- Responsibility for the Development Retail P&L sign-off, retail tenancy plans for each district, tenancy guidelines by district, landlord scope, lessee scope and GMR’s, marketing strategy and phasing/launch strategy.
- Develop Tenant Relationships relating to district Development and implement best in practice systems and tools including adoption of digital platforms
- Support development of Global Retail Practices
- Lead and interpret Place market research focusing on demographic, trends and engage appropriate peer and Independent views with a Global Practices lens.
- Ensure agreement and approach with all internal and Client stakeholders to deliver the District Place Pillars
- Lead decision making efforts for Residential, Commercial, Retail open spaces and programming in alignment with the Place Book.
- Collaborate with the Development Directors to lead delivery of concepts and plans to authorities, builders, partners, consultants and retail operators to the physical environment.
- Lead tenancy delivery team to ensure focus on quality and layering through all the ground plane experiences.
- Lead and promote Asset Management across the precinct to be Lendlease managed to ensure quality of place is maintained to Lendlease standards
- Lead the Ground Plane strategy and business model outline for each district, ensuring it covers vision, mission, strategy, objectives and actions
- Lead annual business plan for the ground plane creation for Google
- Lead and manage Google approval for the integrated ground plane operating model, social infrastructure strategy, open space strategy, integrated financial and delivery strategy, district wide ground plane launch/marketing and digital strategy
- Recruit core team for Property Management and lead strategy plan for launch and handover of precinct
- Maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders & customers and represent the GDV Retail & Place business in relevant internal/external forums
- Build a collaborative and customer centric culture, role modelled at Regional Leadership Team level and followed throughout the organisation.
- Be the key representative across the District for all Retail & Place engagement and delivery activity.
- Build productive external relationships to build the Lendlease brand identity
- Engage meaningfully with industry groups aligned to business strategy.
- Develop trusted relationships with partners, consultants and suppliers
- Support broader GDV thought leadership across the region, engaging with key industry stakeholders to help build a credible reputation in the real estate industry.
- Attract and develop the right mix of Retail & Place talent, capabilities and diversity of thought, leading Sector talent mapping and succession planning.
- In collaboration with Senior Leadership Team members and Retail & Place Directors, provide clarity around career mapping for Retail & Place employees, supporting Individual Development planning and positioning talent in accordance with Strategic Workforce Planning.
- Build a collaborative culture, role modelled in accordance with Lendlease Values and consistently applied throughout the GDV Business Unit.
- In partnership with the Retail & Place Directors, ensure effective performance management of employees across the Sector.
General Background and Minimum Requirements
- Relevant bachelor’s degree in business or property with post graduate qualifications desirable.
- 10 years’ experience in property development or related field managing large-scale, high-quality residential developments within timeframes & budget, leading development and delivery teams and driving revenue generation
- 5+ years’ experience in a senior leadership role
- Broad real estate management experience including development management, project management, new business and construction / delivery.
- Robust local network.
- Comprehensive understanding of the property industry.
- Entrepreneurial and commercial skills at a high level to define, champion and progress project objectives.
- Project management skills to ensure project objectives are delivered on time and within budgets.
- Leadership, problem solvi
- Project Management
10+ to 15 years