Always striving to create inspiring and functional learning environments, Making Waves Foundation’s Real Estate Development Team leads all new campus development projects across the different counties in which we operate. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the VP of Real Estate (VPRE). As part of Making Waves’ Real Estate Team, the Real Estate Project Manager will be leading and/or supporting project teams through design development and construction of new K-12 charter schools.
The Real Estate Project Manager will participate in weekly design and construction project meetings with the Real Estate Team. Some travel will be necessary for project meetings, managing of relationships and project site visits. Using and improving upon the existing processes, the Real Estate Project Manager will communicate with project managers on the project budget, all phases of the project schedule from design to entitlements & permitting to construction and finally through school opening. The Project Manager will participate in the review of new campus design plans with internal team members, incorporating their suggestions when appropriate.
This position will report to the VP of Real Estate.
- Support VP of Real Estate on new school design in collaboration with external design-build teams and recommend future design improvements
- Support VP of Real Estate in working with local jurisdictions on securing the necessary entitlements approvals and permitting for new campus projects.
- Track project budgets including coordinating project invoicing, preparation of periodic management reports, and providing assistance to team managers with pre and post project cost analyses
- Monitor project schedules and assist with problem solving to ensure on-time delivery of school projects
- Monitor the work and services of major contractors and vendors, including annual review and recommendations for new relationships
- Drive projects forward by compiling, distributing, and following-up on weekly project meeting task lists to the design-build team
- Review all contracts from the design-build team and coordinate contract administration.
- Monitor the project punch-lists to ensure timely completion and project close out
- Liaison with the Operations and Achievement staff to ensure smooth school start-up and long-term facility performance.
- Other duties, as needed to support projects to completion
Qualifications & Skills
- 5+ years of experience in project management, real estate or construction management, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Exposure to or familiarity with commercial real estate development from inception through occupancy; exposure and experience managing the expectations of the end-user or client during the development process preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage complex, cross-functional projects
- Demonstrated ability to form positive relationships with external and internal stakeholders and strong customer service orientation
- Experience working with sustainable design practices and an eye towards environmentally conscience land use.
- Experience in securing entitlements approvals and building permits for new construction projects.
- Experience taking initiative and ownership around identifying and addressing process and/or system issues
- Strong written and oral communication skills; ability to clearly and succinctly communicate and present key insights and information
- Natural problem-solver, motivated by continuous improvement
- Proven skill and experience in understanding and interpreting financial statements and developing and managing project budgets and forecasting models.
Education & Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Real Estate, Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture, Urban Planning or a related field
- Master’s degree preferred
- Project Management
- Property Management
5+ to 7 years