Director of Tenant Construction
The Director of Tenant Construction will lead the tenant construction team at EDENS. They are responsible for “driving” the store opening process from deal conceptualization through the design, permitting, lease preparation and execution, LLW and ultimately store openings and rent commencement.
1. Leadership and Management Responsibilities for the Director of Tenant Construction:
- Work closely with Senior Management within the company including Leasing, Development, Construction, Tenant Coordination, Lease Documentation, Investment Management, and Property Management to develop strategies and processes to address the evolving necessities of the Business and Market Conditions that impact the goal of getting stores.
- Managing and leading a team of Tenant Coordinators in a particular region to deliver high quality stores in the shortest period of time from LOI through store opening. The candidate must work with their team to implement procedures and provide guidance and motivation to beat company’s fiscal expectations. The candidate may also manage some properties and projects in addition to managing a team and should act as an example.
- Creating and Managing budgets including staffing, travel, training, etc to support the annual Leasing and Tenant Construction workload.
- Performance Management. Employing specific strategies for performance improvement for low performing employees as well as creating new challenges and utilizations for high performing employees. Providing meaningful and formally documented performance evaluations for team members in accordance with the company’s annual standardized format.
- Participate in conflict resolution between team members and internal and external business partners to achieve collective goals and maintain positive relations.
- Possess an in-depth knowledge of company systems, practices and goals in order to effectively manage and motivate TC teams to deliver on key objectives. TC Department goals include, meeting or beating all Rent Commencement Dates, accurately and creatively advising deal makers to help bring deals to fruition and delivering challenging projects.
- Maintain in depth knowledge of industry standards and best practices, including staying connected with Retailer Counterparts, Retailer Prototypes, Competitors’ Shopping Centers and general American and worldwide trends.
- Recruiting and retaining top level talent to the TC department in close coordination with our Human Resources Team. Ideally, candidate would be able to attract top level talent from competitors through relationships, word of mouth and interviewing skills.
- Providing accurate reporting to Senior Management team on status of every active deal including projected opening dates and potential issues. Candidate should be able to assess the company leasing software and work to customize reports to communicate relevant information.
- Mentoring of key, high achieving individuals within the department and assist them in their career growth within the company. Encourage these individuals to take on new challenges and roles within the company.
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of all Tenant Coordination tasks that the team is responsible for. Understand the day to day challenges of the team in executing these tasks and work toward solutions to those challenges. Engage internal department heads as may be necessary.
- Ability to provide big picture assessments and initiatives by understanding the details and applying creative problem-solving skills.
2. Key Responsibilities of Tenant Construction Team:
- Facilitate timely and accurate completion of all LOI / lease exhibit requests (budgets, schedules, work letters, LODs), and
- Identify, establish and manage contact with Tenant’s representative. Meet with Tenant’s rep on site to review status of project. Maintain contact with Tenant from Lease Execution to Delivery of Possession.
- Process budget and plan review requests from Leasing and review with Construction, ensuring stated scope matches the Lease requirements.
- Complete all Vacant Space Assessments and oversee the completion of an accurate space LOD.
- Review LL’s and Tenant’s work requirement sections of new leases. Ensure Landlord is meeting all Lease responsibilities.
- Attend weekly/bi-weekly meetings with Construction, Leasing, and Property Management to review and address status of each retail space.
- Meet with the permitting authorities for the respective centers and obtain times and procedures for use by the Tenant in obtaining building permits.
- Obtain all necessary permits for LL work with A&E teams
- Bid, review, award and oversee work through completion for all associated Architectural/Engineering design work and General Contractor delivery work.
- Work with Tenant & utility provider to get utility connections to Tenant’s space and insure that all utilities are transferred into Tenant’s name.
- Prepare and issue turnover letters to Tenants (establishing the turnover date for rent start). Manage turnover notification process, including notification to internal groups such as Property Management.
- Review Tenant payment applications for TI reimbursement and field-verify.
- Ensure that all tenant construction activity conforms to lease requirements. Includes monitoring of tenants and its representatives throughout the entire process of design, construction and initial occupancy of its premises.
- Review and approve tenant sign packages for compliance with established MSP. Coordinate installation of shopping center identification.
- Review and approve Landlord and Tenant construction drawings to ensure compliance with Lease, budget, schedule and design requirements.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills with a demonstrated background of group leadership
- 10-20 years of experience as a Director of Construction, Sr. Project Manager, Sr. Project Architect, Sr. Project Designer and/or experience within an Architectural and/or Construction Management setting
- Solution oriented / good problem solver / forward planning
- Ability to interact with local jurisdictions, building inspectors and third party contractors to facilitate project permits, compliance
- Degree in Architecture, Construction Management, Project Management and/or equivalent experience
- Experience in retail design and/or merchandising a plus, up to date knowledge of industry trends and best practices for retail and commercial sectors
- Demonstrated proficiency in, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Bluebeam/Adobe Acrobat, Project Scheduling Applications
- Demonstrated aptitude in strategic thinking & analysis as well as solution & change management
- Excellent verbal, written, visual, and negotiating communication skills and aptitude with both internal and external entities
- General knowledge & understanding of Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC, Fire Protection & Fire Alarm systems/codes as well as ADA code
- Organized, goal oriented, ability to develop and maintain effective relationships and works well in small and large groups
- Ability to work both independently and within a team structure
- Quick to learn and adapt to proprietary software and processes.
EDENS is a retail real estate owner, operator and developer of a nationally-leading portfolio of 120 places. Our sole purpose is to enrich community through human engagement. We design our places to achieve 3.5 trips per week and 5 hours of dwell time. We know that when people come together, they feel a part of something bigger than themselves and prosperity follows – economically, socially, culturally and soulfully. Our work is bigger than real estate; we are in the business of humanity.
- Facilities Management
- Project Management
- Property Management
10+ to 15 years
This job is no longer active.