Santa Barbara, CA
The Building Engineer operates, maintains, and repairs HVAC, electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems of State Owned buildings and facilities; performs the ongoing maintenance and safety functions at various State Owned facilities; and to perform related work; has a basic knowledge of all HVAC, plumbing, electrical, fire/life/safety, carpentry and locksmith skills at minimum.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs facilities maintenance as they relate to operation of various pumps, motors, building facilities equipment, HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems.
- Maintenance and repair techniques for electrical and mechanical facilities operating systems.
- Operation and use of power and hand tools, equipment, and instruments.
- Specification conformance of parts and materials used in preventive maintenance and repair or replacement of mechanical and electrical building operating systems.
- Mechanical, electrical and instrumentation maintenance procedures.
- Water chemistry for testing and treatment of closed and open loop water systems in HVAC.
- Principles of automated building control systems.
- Telephone, office, and online etiquette.
- State and County customer service objectives and strategies.
- Maintain and repair facility electrical and mechanical operating systems including: electrical, mechanical, plumbing, air conditioning, heating and ventilation.
- Identify, diagnose, and correct facility operating system problems.
- Use various equipment (including welding tools) to implement repairs.
- Interpret drawings and blueprints for structural mechanical, electrical and general facilities operating systems.
- Provide training and technical guidance to subordinate staff.
- Maintain and repair locking systems in various institutions.
- Prioritize work requests and orders according to facility needs.
- Communicate effectively with a variety of individuals representing diverse cultures and backgrounds and function calmly in stressful situations, which require a high degree of sensitivity, tact and diplomacy.
- Assess the customer’s immediate needs and ensure customer’s receipt of needed services through personal service or making appropriate referral.
- Provide prompt, efficient and responsive service.
- Exercise appropriate judgment in answering questions and releasing information; analyze and project consequences of decisions and/or recommendations.
- Basic computer skills to input, retrieve, view and print information from facilities management and maintenance tracking systems.
- Establish effective working relationships with management, employees, employee representatives and the public representing diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Treat State and County employees, representatives of outside agencies and members of the public with courtesy and respect.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Plans, coordinates, and performs the ongoing maintenance, and safety functions at various County locations.
- Provides support to Project Management tenant improvement projects. Performs the more difficult repair work such as performing minor modifications and maintenance, removing doors, replacing overhead tiles, repairing roof and leaks.
- Performs electrical maintenance work such as disconnecting, replacing and rerouting electrical systems, as well as wall switches and plug receptacles.
- Identifies, diagnoses, and corrects facility operating system problems.
- May perform minor brazing and welding repairs involving a variety of metals.
- Determines necessary equipment and materials, and purchases such items using the purchasing order program.
- Tests and treats hot water heating system and chilled water system in heating and air conditioning systems.
- May provide training and technical guidance to Building Maintenance Engineer Assistants or subordinate staff.
- Communicates with professional and governmental business persons and organizations.
- Operates industry standard operating systems.
- Practice Energy Conservation.
- Must practice OSHA safety standards.
- Understand the proper procedures of lock out and tag out procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Two to four years of experience/knowledge in the areas of HVAC, electrical, mechanical, and building trades.
- EPA 608 certification is preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of MS Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal.
To apply, please visit
ABM is an EOE (M/F/Vet/Disability/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation)
2+ to 5 years
This job is no longer active.