Counsel & VP of Risk Management – San Francisco Office
We are a dynamic, stable and growing real estate private equity firm that has originated or invested over $10 billion in commercial real estate mortgages and sub-debt, including large multifamily housing communities. We seek an intelligent and proactive licensed CA attorney with litigation experience who has 5 to 7 years of combined operational real estate risk management experience working within a law firm and in-house setting. This position is based in San Francisco.
The Counsel & VP of Risk Management will be responsible for all aspects of operational risk management, including proactively identifying risks and mitigating them, and reacting to risks identified by external parties such as residents, vendors, regulatory bodies, public inspectors and others.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Review, revise where needed, and finalize all standard templates and forms that will be completed and transferred between the Company’s operations team and external parties. This includes documentation for lenders, form resident leases and addenda, housing agency and subsidized housing agreements, vendor contracts, media inquiries, insurance policies and discovery requests, among other documentation.
- Establish and revise policies governing how the Company’s personnel will respond to incidents occurring on or relating to the Company’s properties or the Company’s employees. This will include natural disasters, fires, environmental incidents, treatment of hazardous materials, reports of moisture intrusion, bedbugs and other pests, crimes occurring on the Company’s properties, and injuries to residents, guests or employees on or related to the Company’s properties, among other types of incidents.
- Responsible for claims and litigation management, which will include the entire process from when a resident first contacts the Company with a complaint or notice of incident, to the supervision of insurance counsel during settlement discussions and, potentially, the course of a trial and post-trial proceedings. This includes addressing any coverage issues under the Company’s insurance policies, as well as tenders to vendors and cross-complaints. As part of claims and litigation management, the Counsel & VP of Risk Management will manage and report recommended changes of existing processes or staffing to a Risk Management Sub-Committee.
- Audit records of all operational risk management protocols, such as semi-annual life-safety walks and vendor liability addenda.
- Report all claims to insurance or insurance broker, as appropriate.
- Research industry best practices for fire prevention, injury prevention and other ways to mitigate risks at properties.
- Procure property, liability, terrorism, building and machinery and environmental insurance. Annually review limits and deductibles (or SIRs as applicable) of each policy to ensure they match the Company’s risk tolerance.
- Monitor all markets for adoption of, or changes to, laws and regulations germane to the apartment business, including rent control ordinances, security deposit policies, and pricing and fee ordinances (e.g. RUBS and CA Penal Code Section 396). Communicate to operations and asset management steps necessary for compliance. Oversee revisions to leases and other documentation as needed to stay in compliance. The Counsel & VP of Risk Management will also field all inquiries from regulatory bodies and work with operations to respond to requests for information. This will include review of, and response to, violations of housing policies, fire codes, and building codes, among others.
- Review any proposed political or other non-profit contributions from operating accounts and personnel.
- Establish a curriculum to train operations personnel regularly in risk mitigation. The curriculum will be specific to each role within the operations team.
A qualified candidate will demonstrate the following abilities/skills:
- 5 to 7 years of combined operational real estate risk management experience working within a law firm and in-house setting
- JD degree from a highly credentialed institution
- Active member, CA State Bar Association
- Strong written and verbal communications
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to multitask
- Ability to display confidentiality and discretion
- Capacity to be proactively strategic and professionally persistent
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Positive attitude
- Proficiency with Windows OS, MS Office Suite and ability to learn other software as needed
The position offers an exciting opportunity to join a progressive, growth-oriented organization with a genuinely enjoyable work environment. Compensation is competitive and will include exceptional benefits which include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, RX, FSA, SF Commuter Benefits, company-paid holidays, personal days, and vacation.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Interested and qualified candidates should send resume and cover letter. As relocation would not be considered at this time, local candidates only should apply.
- Risk Management
5+ to 7 years
This job is no longer active.