Come work for a champion of Commercial Real Estate Development & Investment!
Olshan Properties is looking for a high-performing individual who wants to join our dynamic environment. Individuals should have a demonstrated track record of success and a strong desire to develop solutions, problem solves and make significant contributions to our organization. As a new team member, you will have the opportunity to prove yourself and quickly take on new responsibilities and challenges. You will have ownership over your work and the ability to determine your success.
Leasing Counsel provides counsel and handles daily issues regarding the Olshan Properties’ retail leases and the interpretation and enforcement of lease provisions. Responsibilities include negotiating Olshan Properties’ position with opposing counsel and landlords' representatives for new leases, ancillary lease documentation, letter agreements, lease amendments, subleases, assignments, and other related contracts.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare initial lease documentation for review by tenant retailers based on approved Lease Requests.
- Review comments from Tenant's attorney/representative. Work closely with department supervisors and other company divisions and departments to define proper response. Make determination with respect to legal issues and Olshan Properties policy issues.
- Preparation of related documents primarily includes amendments to lease, assignments of lease and termination agreements. Applicable lease provisions are reviewed; documents are prepared, reviewed and revised as necessary for completion.
- Protect Olshan Properties’ positions on the essential lease, operating, and corporate issues in leases, subordination /non-disturbance agreements, estoppels, license agreements, amendments and other related contracts.
- Analyze leases and related documents, verifying the terms set forth therein and prepare a summary of such analysis which provides direction/recommendation with regard to the stated purpose(s) of the research project.
- Perform legal drafting and document review of lease-related documents (such as modifications and assignments) and title documents.
- Research prior tenant leases and/or existing tenant templates.
- Review title and environmental documentation where necessary.
- Counsel and resolve disputes with landlord representatives and respond to questions from other departments.
- Advise and handle daily issues regarding lease interpretation, including provisions regarding operations, facilities, repair obligations, and enforcement of the Olshan Properties’ rights.
- Anticipate and minimize potential legal and business risks.
- Research, review, and provide counsel regarding various real estate litigation brought by or against Olshan Properties’. Work with outside counsel to provide necessary information and documentation.
- Adhere to the highest ethical and fiduciary, legal obligations when providing any and all of the foregoing communication, advice, and assistance to protect the interests of Olshan Properties.
Knowledge and Skill:
- Knowledge of specialized legal terminology, documents, and procedures.
- Ability to provide consistent, high-quality legal analysis and advice.
- Ability to move complex transactions and/or litigation to resolution.
- Ability to cooperatively work with Olshan Properties’ management, attorneys, and staff, as well as outside counsel.
- Excellent business judgment, problem-solving skills, and a strong work ethic required.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High level of professionalism and integrity.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Strong attention to detail, organization, priority setting, and time management skills.
- Ability to keep Olshan Properties’ proprietary information confidential as required.
- Protect Employer’s privacy and data; keep passwords safe.
- Juris Doctor Degree from an accredited law school, licensed and a member in good standing of the State Bar.
- Able to obtain out-of-state attorney in-house status.
- Five or more years of legal experience primarily in retail leasing, either at a reputable law firm or major retail company.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with a real estate management software program, MRI preferable.
- Work requires a willingness to travel and work a flexible schedule.
The position is expected to work Monday through Friday, general business hours. We understand the importance of work-life balance, which is why we offer generous PTO to our employees. We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package includes a variety of medical plan options, so you can choose what fits your lifestyle and budget best. We also offer medical, dental, and vision insurance, additional benefits include short-term disability, life insurance, paid time off, paid holidays and a 401(k) plan.
Olshan Properties is a privately owned real estate firm that has specialized in the development, acquisition, and management of commercial real estate for more than 55 years. The close integration of investment and operating capabilities has given Olshan Properties a reputation as one of the leading private owners of the commercial real estate in the country. The company is headquartered in New York City and manages properties in 11 states with a staff of over 1,000 employees. Since its inception in 1959, Olshan Properties and its affiliates have formed a proud history of creating quality projects, managing with integrity and harvesting value for our investors and partners.
Olshan Properties currently owns and/or operates a diverse portfolio of commercial properties in eleven states with approximate total square footage of 23 million. The company self-manages nearly all of its investments and partnerships through its retail, residential, office and hotel divisions. A dedicated staff of leasing, marketing, development, property management, finance, and construction personnel continues to provide excellence in the asset management of our portfolio:
- 10 million SF of retail properties, containing regional centers, community centers, urban retail, and power centers.
- 14,000 multifamily residential units, including urban high-rise, suburban garden-style, and townhome properties.
- 1,447 hotel rooms across our portfolio of owned and managed Hilton and Marriott branded properties.
- 3 million SF of office space in high-rise class A, mixed-use and suburban formats.
Olshan Properties also serves as a General Partner of the Longview and RCG Longview series of debt and equity funds as well as Normandy Venture Partners, an opportunistic equity fund. Our founding sponsorship of these funds has resulted in the investment of $4.7 billion in commercial real estate projects over the past 12 years and leverages our unique investment abilities, operating expertise and industry relationships.
5+ to 7 years
Apply for this job