American South Real Estate Fund (“ASREF” or the “Fund”), a private equity real estate fund, is seeking an Originating Associate to join its originations and investments team. The candidate will be a key member of the ASREF team with a primary focus and responsibility for the origination of middle market mezzanine debt and preferred equity investments on commercial real estate across all product types.
The American South Real Estate Fund invests mezzanine debt and equity into third party real estate projects in 10 states in the southern United States (AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN and TX).
ASREF is a “Triple Bottom Line” fund will 1) provide risk adjusted market rates of return, 2) catalyze economic and community development that revitalizes and stabilizes low- to moderate-income (LMI) communities (meeting Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) and Program Related Investment (PRI) criteria) and 3) maintain a portfolio having a range of environmentally-sustainable attributes.
ASREF has offices in Los Angeles and Shreveport, however this position will be based out of Atlanta, GA.
The Originating Associate is tasked primarily with sourcing, screening, structuring, and underwriting investments for the fund.The ideal candidate will have strong relationships with developers and borrowers who transact on mezzanine debt and preferred equity investments. The candidate will maintain and expand a quality network of target borrower, developer, and intermediary relationships that will serve as a recurring source of investment opportunities for the Fund. The position will require extensive travel throughout the 10 states to meet with developers and tour prospective investments. The Senior Associate will likely office in a co-working space in Atlanta, GA.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Source, evaluate, and screen new investment opportunities.
- Establish relationships with local and regional economic development agencies, community development entities, non-profits, foundations and other lead generators within the footprint.
- Collaborate with other members of the investment team to achieve Fund objectives and meet origination volume targets.
- Track and manage deal pipeline and maintain contacts in Fund’s CRM database.
- Provide feedback regarding loan structure and pricing of competitors to ensure the Fund remains competitive.
- Assess asset values, market conditions, growth assumptions and borrower creditworthiness.
- Command of real estate financial analysis, including Argus cash flow modeling and an understanding of the real estate capital markets.
- Perform financial underwriting and due diligence.
- Work closely with the underwriting team to size, underwrite, negotiate, structure, and price subordinate loans; prepare and present investment packages for internal committee approval.
- Additional duties as assigned
- Ideal candidate will have between 5 and 10 years of commercial real estate loan originations experience on subordinate financings.
- Proven originations track record that includes mezzanine and preferred equity transactions. Experience with construction loans and development projects preferred.
- Strong network of contacts among owners, developers, brokers, financiers active throughout the southern United States.
- Superior deal evaluation and assessment skills.
- Team player with the ability to work independently in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment.
- Self starter that is comfortable working alone.
- Strong sourcing capability, work ethic, integrity and commitment to meet deadlines.
- Must possess the ability to undertake detailed analyses and make well-reasoned, decisive recommendations to senior management.
- Must be able to work efficiently and have an ability to concurrently pursue multiple opportunities.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal communication, and writing skills.
- Excellent understanding of Excel and ARGUS.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, or Real Estate (MBA preferred).
Vintage Realty Company provides a competitive benefits & compensation package. All candidates must be able to prove eligibility to work in the United States and willing to complete a criminal background & drug screening process as successful completion is necessary before an employment offer is granted. If you are interested in furthering your career in with a progressive successful firm, please submit your cover letter and resume along with contact names and numbers of three professional references. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Investor Relations
5+ to 7 years
Apply for this job