Realty Income is an S&P 500 company located in San Diego. Founded in 1969 and listed NYSE since 1994, we have delivered compound average annual total returns of ~16%. Realty Income owns more than 5,600 commercial real estate properties with an enterprise value of over $22 billion. Our tenants include companies such as Walgreens, FedEx, Treasury Wine Estates, 7-Eleven and Lifetime Fitness. In aggregate, we have tenants operating in nearly 50 industries across 49 states and Puerto Rico. Our company attracts individuals who value integrity, perseverance, and teamwork. If you appreciate working in a professional environment that rewards employees based on meritocracy and values a work-life balance, make sure to apply today!
We are looking to hire an experienced Director of Construction who will assume a key role in execution of construction and development functions on a national portfolio of commercial and industrial real estate. Position duties include managing comprehensive scopes of work, directing design consultants, cost estimating, analyzing proposals, contract preparation and management, developer/contractor and/or subcontractor vetting, project scheduling, document and budget management, entitlement processing, and support other departments. This position will ensure that projects are managed cost-effectively and efficiently while mitigating risk where possible.
The primary duties of the Director of Construction include:
- Lead all aspects of capital construction process on nationwide portfolio of commercial and industrial properties.
- Responsible for management of design process, budgeting, permitting, bidding, and contracting where necessary on construction and development projects.
- Develop and enhance relationships with internal and external stakeholders, and implement best practices.
- Assess challenges and risks, gather information, plan and initiate solutions to overcome budget issues, schedule conflicts, deadlines, design changes and other obstacles as they occur to ensure successful completion of all projects.
- Act as company’s subject matter expert on construction and development related issues.
- Create departmental guidelines and procedures to ensure adherence to best practices.
- Support Acquisitions, Asset Management, Legal, Property Management, and Research Departments, including site visits when necessary.
- Participate in the capital budgeting process by providing guidance for priorities, recommending solutions, creating scope of work and gathering cost estimates to ensure optimal use of capital funds.
- Plan, schedule, and coordinate major repairs, and capital improvement projects, including the hiring and supervision of consultants and contractors.
- Provide guidance to the property management staff to increase the useful life of all property assets.
- Confirm scope of work, collect and evaluate bids, and make vendor selection recommendations.
- Initiate and manage approved capital projects to completion and work with Property Managers to reasonably minimize impact to tenants.
- Create long-term capital plans and budgets for property assets in order to forecast large expenses and allow for proper planning and budgeting.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Certifications, and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Architecture, or Engineering from four-year college or university.
- Minimum of 5 years in design and/or construction of commercial and/or industrial real estate, preferably for a publicly traded company.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Strong track record in construction management, architecture, or engineering.
- Must have experience with budget, design, bid/award, construction, and post construction phases on commercial real estate.
- Must be an expert communicator of complex issues to audiences of all levels.
- Periodic travel is required.
To all recruitment agencies Realty Income does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our job's alias, Realty Income employees, or any company location. Realty Income is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
5+ to 7 years
This job is no longer active.